Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameljockey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
What kind of specs do you think we will see on the iPhone 5C?

GHZ
RAM
Camera
only 8GB/16GB models?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Same internals as the iPhone 5 with only 8 and 16 gb models. This will bring down cost.

Can anybody still justify selling an 8GB smartphone? There's no point in a video camera or Photo Stream on an 8GB iPhone since you really have about 6GB.

My hope is they start at 16GB and move up to 32GB, then the iPhone 5S starts at 32GB at $199. Then I can get me a 64GB iPhone 5S at $299 and be oh-so-happy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't see it only coming with 8GB of space. As large as apps have gotten, and as large as camera images are, I see this going with at LEAST 16GB. Anything less would be pretty disappointing. Otherwise, I do see it as having similar internals to the iPhone 5.

Traditionally, when a newer iPhone launches, the previous model is $100 less in retail. That would make the 5 sell for $550 retail (assuming it goes untouched). If they replace it with a plastic back, I would HOPE that we see this phone for under $400, full retail.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
16 GB model only. 8 MP camera without iPhone 5's improvements over the 4S. Same 1.3 GHz A6 of the iPhone 5, with 1 GB of RAM.
It would keep the same screen as the iPhone 5, while perhaps dropping LTE.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Can anybody still justify selling an 8GB smartphone? There's no point in a video camera or Photo Stream on an 8GB iPhone since you really have about 6GB.

My hope is they start at 16GB and move up to 32GB, then the iPhone 5S starts at 32GB at $199. Then I can get me a 64GB iPhone 5S at $299 and be oh-so-happy.

Google does with the nexus 4.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
For people that use the phone as a phone first 8gb is ok. They don't play games and movies on their phone.

nilzi

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2013
It is obviously that low-cost iPhone will come with a dirt-cheap plastic shell.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Since this phone is intended for emerging markets (something that pretty much everyone seems to forget) I expect it to launch without LTE.

I expect it to be an iPhone 5 with a plastic shelling, minus LTE, with an extended battery life.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Same internals as the iPhone 5 with only 8 and 16 gb models. This will bring down cost.

They already have an iPhone 5 with 16GB, it's called an iPhone 5 with 16GB. Why would they go to the expense of creating a whole new case (manufacturing, design, production) just to create an iPhone 5 they already have in production and sell now?

If this iPhone 5C exists, it won't be merely a cheaper iPhone 5S with older internal parts, if that were the case it would possibly (probably?) outsell the 5S and Apple will not risk losing a single sale of the 5S to something less expensive (it could kill premium priced smart phones altogether, which they won't risk). If they offer a less expensive model, as they did with the iPod Touch, there is precedent here - they'd use the current case, offer less storage, and sell it as the entry model (without changing the name).

My guess is that they've figured out some way to create a phone so radically different it warranted a new case and model designation, and I can't wait to see what they've come up with next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.