Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use both extensively for work. My usage pattern is roughly something like this:

Ipad
- read and annotate pdf files (which I can do for several hours every day)
- note taking
- it's my primary device when I go to conferences or seminars, especially when I'm away for a full day. This is because I never have to worry about battery running out or internet access (having a 3G version), and I also like the opportunity to take hand written notes.
- some writing, depending on what I'm doing and where I am
- web surfing and emailing while at home - I usually leave my Air in my office during week days

Air
- this is where I do the majority of my writing, data analysis and project management.

I often find that I use the two devices side by side. For example, I might read and annotate a document on the iPad while taking notes on my Air, or I might be reading data transcripts on my iPad while mind mapping on the Air.

I personally find the 13" very portable, but of course it's a little bit bigger than the iPad. I assume the 11" would be very similar to the iPad, but I wanted the bigger screen and additional battery life of the 13", and I found that for my purposes, the iPad and the 11" would overlap too much.

For me, getting rid of the iPad would be a significant loss, but I think this really comes down to use patterns and the you might find that the Air covers all your needs effectively.

godkorg

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
I just sold my iPad to get a mba.. will buy an iPad mini whenever but yeahhhh :)

kaossilator in your daily kit? you dirty hipster... :) might I recomend a korg microKontrol so you can get some real work done :D

I use both, but I use my iPad mini more frequently, but I carry a backpack that has the following;

Canon 650D (RebelT4i) and assorted lenses.
MBA 11"
iPad Mini
Korg Kaossilator2
Assorted accesories for all of the above.

I find I use the MBA when I have work to do or other more full-on tasks, but the iPad is my main media consumption device on the move and I use it to stream to my AppleTV at home if I haven't put the videos I want into my main PC iTunes library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.