Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac2012.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

I am going to enthusiastically get the new iMac. Though, I couldn't care less for the augmented thinnes of the computer's body, while the lack of a DVD reader is a crucial annoyance to me. I know very little about computers. What I ask is, some DVD reader brands that offer the same quality Apple gives, and I can buy, link to the iMac, and get performances as perfect as those Apple made me used to.

thank you

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
The drives that apple puts in their computers aren't anything special. You'll get the same performance with any external optical disk drive that isn't broken.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The drives that apple puts in their computers aren't anything special. You'll get the same performance with any external optical disk drive that isn't broken.
Agreed.

But, if you are unsure, buy the Apple external DVD. It costs a lot more, but it might give you peace of mind, and it doesn't require 2 USB ports.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012

I am going to enthusiastically get the new iMac. Though, I couldn't care less for the augmented thinnes of the computer's body, while the lack of a DVD reader is a crucial annoyance to me. I know very little about computers. What I ask is, some DVD reader brands that offer the same quality Apple gives, and I can buy, link to the iMac, and get performances as perfect as those Apple made me used to.

thank you

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1487164/

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
I will dare to say that optical drives used in Mac computers are sub par - they often stop working after few years, especially the ones in laptops. I had two of ODDs die on me. They're nothing special or "Apple" quality.

Get any external DVD drive (or even Blu-Ray) with USB 2 connection, it will work ok. They even make wireless drives (Sony I think) but to me, it's pretty useless because you'll be plugging power cord anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.