Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Bought a basic Macbook Air October 26th (Windows 8 Launch:) )and just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it with Bootcamp! Do I need all the updates that Windows 7 is installing? Since I have the 128 SSD model it is taking up a lot of space. I made each partition pretty much equal as I knew I wanted to install Microsoft Flight Simulator X, which runs better than it ever did on my 2009 PC! Any idea how to control the constant updates taking up my precious SSD space. I know I want the security stuff but what about the rest? Should I reinstall at some point and choose let me install the updates and pick and choose them?

Thanks! Loving the new MBA! What an awesome machine!

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Should I reinstall at some point and choose let me install the updates and pick and choose them?

No need, just type automatic on the start meny, and disable automatic updating. If you please, you can also uninstall some of the updates that windows has installed by running appwiz.cpl (add remote programs), choosing Windows Updates in the left pane and then uninstalling what you dont want. This can create issues with the OS though, so it's not something I would recommend.

win7uninstall.png

Just wanted to include that sexy screenshot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.