Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:08 PM   #26
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
The main thing I think of when seeing those ads is, "He's no Arnold Ziffel".
Well, what pig could fill Arnold's hooves...?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:39 PM   #27
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Many advertisers (and more importantly, advertising agencies) would be thrilled to see that you've connected the pig and Geico, you've remembered the campaign well, even if you don't like the ads.

They're probably even more thrilled that you've decided to talk about it publicly, even going to the lengths to find and embed one of their ads.

Basically to an advertiser, in many ways famous=infamous. One of the main things advertisers want is to be remembered.
Totally agree. I thought about writing this earlier, but it felt like it would interrupt the stream of silliness that has dominated the discussion.

The Geico commercial that really gets my goat is a radio spot where the gekko brags about their 97% satisfaction rate, and says to the listener that they should try Geico and maybe they could raise the rate to 98%.

That would mean that Geico has no more than 100 customers!!!

But as you say ... I remember the commercial.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #28
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

This ad got me thinking: if there was another sentient species (whether Earth born or alien), how would people feel about inter-species relationships? If the other species was sentient, intelligent and could communicate relatively easily with humans, why not? I'm sure many religious types would be against it as it probably won't lead to procreation (like same-sex relationships).

As I've never met another sentient species I could easily communicate with, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It might be unfamiliar at first, but I like to think that I'm open-minded.
guzhogi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:20 PM   #29
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
This ad got me thinking: if there was another sentient species (whether Earth born or alien), how would people feel about inter-species relationships? If the other species was sentient, intelligent and could communicate relatively easily with humans, why not?
Why not indeed?

The ability to consent is the key.

If the sentient species has the ability to enter the contract understanding the law and its implications, then I would not stand it the way of that union.

(providing the being was also not a "minor")
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:23 PM   #30
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Why not indeed?

(providing the being was also not a "minor")
"But your honor, I had no idea she was only 450 years old! She totally looked 600!"
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:08 PM   #31
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Well, I can see a problem if the life form (humanoid) has some features that make it not look human, would say "It's not a creature created by God, God made us in the image of him self".

Hugh
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:22 PM   #32
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, I can see a problem if the life form (humanoid) has some features that make it not look human, would say "It's not a creature created by God, God made us in the image of him self".
I'm confused though.

Did the humanoid say this about us?

Or did we say this about it?

Or perhaps both?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:28 PM   #33
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

No, the bible tells you that we (earthlings) are created in god's image. So if the humanoid didn't look like us, they would say they are not created by god.

Hugh
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:35 PM   #34
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, the bible tells you that we (earthlings) are created in god's image. So if the humanoid didn't look like us, they would say they are not created by god.

Hugh
Assuming the humanoids were visiting us here on Earth, that would indicate they are more technologically and intellectually advanced than humans (as humans aren't even close to visiting other planets).

How would this square with humans being the "paragon of animals" or "God gave man dominion over all things"?

Do you think that would invalidate the Bible and Christianity?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:45 PM   #35
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Correct me if I am wrong it's been while since I've read a bible. (Where's Crono when you need him! ). The real religious believe that we (earthlings) are the only humanoids that god created. There are no other life forms out there we are it. (I don't buy that for a minute).

Now you introduce another humanoid that doesn't look like us, the real religious will say they can't be created by god. Since god only created us. The religious will never except that god might have created other life beings that possible don't look like us. :/ A movie I saw that would be a great example of this would be 'Contact'.

Hugh
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:55 PM   #36
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong it's been while since I've read a bible. (Where's Crono when you need him! ). The real religious believe that we (earthlings) are the only humanoids that god created. There are no other life forms out there we are it. (I don't buy that for a minute).

Now you introduce another humanoid that doesn't look like us, the real religious will say they can't be created by god. Since god only created us. The religious will never except that god might have created other life beings that possible don't look like us. :/ A movie I saw that would be a great example of this would be 'Contact'.
I'd assume the reactions would be quite varied.

Some would see it as an invalidation of their faith.

Some would manage to fold it all into their faith: "the paragon of animals ... on Earth. Dominion over all things ... on Earth until the aliens arrive."

While others would assume that the aliens were servants or manifestations of Satan.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:23 PM   #37
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Some folks are just more prudish than others
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:25 PM   #38
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
While others would assume that the aliens were servants or manifestations of Satan.
Do they have a book titled "To Serve Man"?
chown33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Now you introduce another humanoid that doesn't look like us, the real religious will say they can't be created by god. Since god only created us. The religious will never except that god might have created other life beings that possible don't look like us.
The fundamental problem with that is that jehovallah is an omnimax deity: if something is in the universe, he is responsible for it being. Now, one might argue that these aliens came from some other universe that is ruled by some other omnimax deity, but I am not quite sure whether you could get them to believe that or not. And then, what do you call sex between people from different universes? Down this road lie many headaches …
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:41 PM   #40
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
... what do you call sex between people from different universes?
Really, really, hot.

Where's the video?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:06 PM   #41
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
... And then, what do you call sex between people from different universes? ...
Sex between people of different universes? I assume doing so involves a wormhole...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:03 PM   #42
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Many advertisers (and more importantly, advertising agencies) would be thrilled to see that you've connected the pig and Geico, you've remembered the campaign well, even if you don't like the ads.

They're probably even more thrilled that you've decided to talk about it publicly, even going to the lengths to find and embed one of their ads.

Basically to an advertiser, in many ways famous=infamous. One of the main things advertisers want is to be remembered.
Actually they make me want to avoid Geico... although realistically, I would not allow an ad like this to decide it for me. I'd have to know more about them.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:08 PM   #43
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The fundamental problem with that is that jehovallah is an omnimax deity: if something is in the universe, he is responsible for it being. Now, one might argue that these aliens came from some other universe that is ruled by some other omnimax deity, but I am not quite sure whether you could get them to believe that or not. And then, what do you call sex between people from different universes? Down this road lie many headaches …
I thought omnimax was that really big movie thing...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:06 PM   #44
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I thought omnimax was that really big movie thing...
Because Omniimax® is a registered trademark of Imax Corporation, I would expect this "God" person will soon be embroiled in considerable legal difficulties due to the "likelihood of confusion" that you just mentioned.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:13 PM   #45
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Because Omniimax® is a registered trademark of Imax Corporation, I would expect this "God" person will soon be embroiled in considerable legal difficulties due to the "likelihood of confusion" that you just mentioned.
Gracious...I didn't mean to get god in trouble.

I feel terrible now...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:28 PM   #46
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Gracious...I didn't mean to get god in trouble.

I feel terrible now...
Nonsense. It is your civil duty to report any and all anti-American activities. The more you do so, the better your chance for promotion in the future.

Good work, Comrade! Corporate America salutes you!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:22 PM   #47
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Down this road lie many headaches …
As in "Not tonight, darling..."?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:39 PM   #48
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
As in "Not tonight, darling..."?
Even encounters of a non-sexual nature with persons from alternate universes rarely go smoothly...

Thumb resize.
Dr. McCoy (from our universe) being mind-raped by Evil Spock (from the alternate universe)

Last edited by localoid; Jun 30, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
localoid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #49
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
As this been mentioned before in these forums? As I rule I don't care for Geico's pig ads. I was hoping the cop who pulls one over is last seen roasting a pig over a barbeque, lol.

Anyone else think the one where the woman (with amorous feelings) is on a date with a pig is more in poor taste than it's funny? I'm wondering if some deviate mad man, thought that one up to drive conservatives crazy. I mean, that's what they are thinking, what burn-in-hell idea will liberals think up next?

YouTube: video
The AD got your attention did it not? That's purpose and no it is not in poor taste. You probably won't buy Geico insurance but someone who is undecided might.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
geico, pig