Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPurpleblob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Everytime I play Starcraft for lets say 3 hours, then close it, go back do work and come back and open it again, the FPS goes down to 15 FPS while I have about 40~50 FPS during the 3 hours.

Is there something wrong with my computer or do all mac users have to frequently reset their SMC?

I have a Samsung retina 15 display, and I'm kind of reluctant to swap it out because I might get a LG one?
Any advice?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Most of us don't do Starcraft so we don't have the problem. Sounds like a bug in the game.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Which model do you have? I haven't encountered that in my travels.

It doesn't matter which screen you have.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I play StarCraft II and had to reset SMC once because of this glitch. Not only SC2 performance is affected, but the whole computer is slower until you do a SMC reset.

I'm not sure it's linked to SC2 specifically though, but Anand had this glitch after running a bunch of tests possibly including SC2. He didn't mention when in his tests the problem appeared, but he did benchmark SC2 at some point. He blames the CPU throttling to 1.2GHz and getting stuck there until the SCM is reset.

See the "Software Funniness" part at the end.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
This is a known issue, but I'd like to find out more about it. It seems to be software related, but I'm considering taking my computer to the Apple store if it happens again.

I also experienced this issue with SCII, but in OSX, not Boot Camp (although I do play Diablo 3 on Boot Camp, have not experienced similar performance issues). I was shocked to only get 20fps when first opening the game after reading benchmarks that suggested I should be getting closer to 50 or 60. Reset SMC and performance improved dramatically.

Is there a thread on Apple forums regarding this issue? Is everyone experiencing it? Is it only affecting games, or does this throttling happen in OSX or other applications as well?

:mad:

xPurpleblob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
ehh i guess ill just swap this and see...
i have some minor ocd scratches so ill take care of that lol

kimovski

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
And i have to smc reset evertime i play counter strike go on steam :( without smc reset i was getting only 30 fps on ANY kind of game settings. Really annoying :(

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
That's a bug in 10.8.2 and is discussed in other threads. There was an update to EFI which made throttling more aggressive but is very buggy, especially in Boot Camp. I downgraded to 10.8.1 and wait for a fix before I update any further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.