Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horvatic

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
No problems with my DND

This isn't a wide spread problem as my DND is not stuck on as the article suggests after this New Year. I would suggest anyone with there DND stuck on backup and restore there IOS device and sync there device, not restore from the backup as the issue might be something corrupted and replicate itself back from the backup.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Broken...

It looks like everyone who experienced the DND glitch on the 1st had theirs turn on on the 1st. Those who had it turn on on the 31st (11pm) for me, didn't have the problem on the first.

Fast forward to the 2nd, and all my devices did not turn off. All were set to go on at 11pm on the 1st, and the morning of the 2nd (today) all were still on.

So it's a bug either related to 1/1, or the year 2013 or possibly 1/1/13, and requires the DND feature to activate on 1/1 for it to happen. It matters not when it is programmed to turn off.

----------

This isn't a wide spread problem as my DND is not stuck on as the article suggests after this New Year. I would suggest anyone with there DND stuck on backup and restore there IOS device and sync there device, not restore from the backup as the issue might be something corrupted and replicate itself back from the backup.

You are nuts. Nobody is going to do what you say, completely wiping their phone and setting it up from scratch to resolve a bug that Apple will fix with a hot fix. Who has that kind of time or patience for a device that "just works"?

The option of "TURN THE FEATURE OFF UNTIL IT'S FIXED" is much more palatable than setting up a phone from scratch.

----------

So, running some tests on my iPhone 5 now that this has happened to me (didn't happen yesterday).

I set the feature to turn on in 5 minutes. As SOON as I adjust the turn on time, it turns itself on anyway, even though it's not time to do so. Without fail, it does this. I can turn the feature off manually, then readjust the time for 11pm, 12 hours from now, and as soon as I adjust the time, it turns itself on. But it WON'T turn itself on at the set time once I turn it off manually.

Completely broken.

It's a big bug not necessarily related to 1/1, more likely related to the year 2013.

Did nobody at Apple test this software with a different date and time than real time?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Are you a two year old? Making fun at someone illness is beyond childish.

Funny thing is people act like bullying only happens in school when sites such as these are fully of bullies who hide behind a monitor and keyboard.

Foxy

Are you serious? It's called making light of a situation. It wasn't meant as a brutal put-down.

SwoopIOM

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Isle of Man
Hi all,

I have been a long-time lurker, but decided to jump in now in 2013.

I have found a fix for this bug! This is what you need to do:

-Go under notifications, turn off "Scheduled" DND.
-Go back to Settings, turn on DND.
-Go back into notifications, turn on "Scheduled" DND.
-Go back to settings, turn off DND. You'll notice that right under the Moon/Do Not Disturb logo there will be a lightly grayed out "Scheduled: 12:00 am" for example.

And, that's that. Give it a shot. It worked on both my iPad and iPhone.

Nope you ain't found a fix!!!

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Then you either have not used 'droid or had a very rare experience.
by doing nothing more than just turning DND off...

I currently am running a S3 that I got on release day. The current uptime for the phone is 187:01:27. Only reason it isn't longer is because I left the phone in my truck in 10 degree weather one night and it died.

Mine is in a otter box defender and pulling the battery would be a PITA to do all the time. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with that if it required pulling the battery every day.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Really?

No... you grow up and reboot your phone and reset DND. It's not rocket science. OR take the phone back and get your money back. IF this is can't be done then sell it and move on with your life. If the iPhone isn't meeting your expectations stop whining about it and do something about it.

Did that and bug still persists. So, I guess it's because I don't love Apple enough to continue to give them money for buggy products. What is wrong with me?

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
I did not think that this feature was big enough to warrant an entire ad being made about it...

That's something I love about :apple: ads. Samsung makes these huge elaborate ads that don't make sense to many people or are distracted by them focusing on making fun of Apple. Apple makes an ad like this that steals EVERYONES attention and makes them fascinated to see what's going to happen and gets one simple point across. The ads together paint a picture of what Apple wants them to see the iPhone as

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
I think its a very handy feature that many people use. Problem is, if you turn the ringer or phone off, EVERYTHING stops coming in (effectively at least in the case of the ringer). DND lets you do things like let your favorites get through, or allow anyone to get through if they call twice in a certain time span. This lets important things through, but filters the rest.

To me that's gold. I set it to be on when I sleep, so if some family emergency comes up in the middle of the night, I am still available, but every stinking e-mail doesn't ding to keep me awake.

I know very people who would anticipate a family emergency every night- but if it works for you then good for you. I just mute the sound all night. It would have to be a major emergency to warrant a call back. The vibrate/screen light would awake me. I don't get either for email.

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I know very people who would anticipate a family emergency every night- but if it works for you then good for you. I just mute the sound all night. It would have to be a major emergency to warrant a call back. The vibrate/screen light would awake me. I don't get either for email.

If I -anticipated- an emergency I wouldn't go to sleep. No one expects one, let alone every night and that isn't what I said. Its the possibility that one could come up that warrants the feature. I'm also not just talking about huge emergencies. Its possible a friend could need something badly early in the morning, etc.

If you wake up from the screen, then that works fine for you. Personally I am not a light sleeper and that wouldn't have a snowball's chance of waking me up so I need something more.

I think there are many people like me who think this feature is useful.

To be honest, the other half of it is scheduling. I am very forgetful, and having to manually put it on silent every night would work, but not 100% for me. Even if this feature was limited to scheduling silent mode I'd have still been pretty happy with it.

----------

I currently am running a S3 that I got on release day. The current uptime for the phone is 187:01:27. Only reason it isn't longer is because I left the phone in my truck in 10 degree weather one night and it died.

Mine is in a otter box defender and pulling the battery would be a PITA to do all the time. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with that if it required pulling the battery every day.

Well, you skipped over the second half of my or'ed logic statement, but ehh. On the other hand, SIII is supposedly the most stable droid device out yet. It doesn't make sense to ignore the hundreds of other devices out there that are far worse (assuming what Ive heard about the SIII is valid, I have no experience with it). Not everyone went out and bought one.

I have experience with several of the other devices and frankly as much as I dislike Apple as a company and wanted to like droid I was driven away by stability issues. That and UI lag. That drives me up a wall...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Did that and bug still persists. So, I guess it's because I don't love Apple enough to continue to give them money for buggy products. What is wrong with me?

Nothing is wrong with you, that's the way it's supposed to work.

LoL..... IF people keep doing that I think they suffering from an acute case of Hemorrhagic Appleencephalitis. Apple products cause their brain to swell and money to flow from their pockets!

Last edited:

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
If I -anticipated- an emergency I wouldn't go to sleep. No one expects one, let alone every night and that isn't what I said. Its the possibility that one could come up that warrants the feature. I'm also not just talking about huge emergencies. Its possible a friend could need something badly early in the morning, etc.

If you wake up from the screen, then that works fine for you. Personally I am not a light sleeper and that wouldn't have a snowball's chance of waking me up so I need something more.

I think there are many people like me who think this feature is useful.

----------

That's fine- but do you really think that feature warrants a full commercial?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Are you serious? It's called making light of a situation. It wasn't meant as a brutal put-down.

As someone who has a similar disease... your joke is in poor taste. All it does is serve as a reminder about a crappy situation. I was nowhere near as active as her at any point in my life, but it's still depressing knowing that I'm incapable of doing things that were once trivial for me.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
As someone who has a similar disease... your joke is in poor taste. All it does is serve as a reminder about a crappy situation. I was nowhere near as active as her at any point in my life, but it's still depressing knowing that I'm incapable of doing things that were once trivial for me.

Sorry to hear about your illness and sorry if I offended.

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010

Sorry to hear about your illness and sorry if I offended.

You have apologised so I'll most on. Especially as terraphantm who has the illness explained where I was basically coming from with regards to your comment.

Foxy

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't know why Apple has started using celebrities in it's adverts over the past year. I think it's a big mistake. The best Apple ads are the one's with the simple voice over while they showcase the features of the product. Why change a winning formula. It's just plain stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.