Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Here's another tip: Don't put your drink right next to your electronics.

I almost always have one of my iPad's with me. I rather use my iPads to their full extent and get some battle scars then leave them unused in a dust free environment. Sure, one would should not be wreckless but I use my iPads everywhere. I have used various iPads in temperatures from -4 degrees Fahrenheit up to 130. I even had my iPad Mini with me out in the Sahara Desert for the marathon des sables. I have yet been able to completely break a iPad, this one is the closest so far.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
A devoted vegan would eschew Gorilla Glass too.

I'd say eschew the Gorilla one bite at a time...you know, like how you eat an elephant.

(Does make you wonder which part the "glass" comes from....)

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Voided the warranty on an iPad that was only 2 weeks old. Hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the butt

?
presumably he had a broken screen replaced. why wouldn't he do that? that's like paying to rebuild your burned home out of pocket because you don't want to pay the $1000 deductible.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
But now when something goes wrong you have no warranty. The 'sensible' thing would have been to go to Apple and pay their cost. Not to cheap like you did

"When something goes wrong." The chances of something actually going wrong in one year is pretty slim. We're talking about a hardware defect, which is the only thing the warranty really covers. You're more likely to break your device accidentally.

----------

AC + does and that is a warranty. :p

you gotta pay for applecare plus and u gotta pay a 50 dollar deductible for every repar. That's already 150 bucks. Might be better to find another place.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
is it really gorilla glass? I heard apple uses a generic corning glass, but not specifically gorilla branded glass

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Is it really worth it using your iPad naked effect and have these problems

* use iPad naked and have cracked screen

* use iPad with a really good case and have no problems

No brainer really

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
you gotta pay for applecare plus and u gotta pay a 50 dollar deductible for every repar. That's already 150 bucks. Might be better to find another place.

A mere $25 more for a legit replacement backed by the manufacturer. Rather than some third party that could prove to be crap, might have damaged your device getting put on etc.

Sorry but apple care makes more sense to me. But hey it's your money, your right to burn it as you wish

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Is it really worth it using your iPad naked effect and have these problems

* use iPad naked and have cracked screen

* use iPad with a really good case and have no problems

No brainer really

It's almost a no brainer for me as well, but the other way around. Let me try to explain it.

I have owned iPads since the launch of the first and, four in total and this is the first time It happened. Maybee it's a no brainer for you, but for me it's almost a no brainer to not use a ugly rubber case and protective film. Why having a gorgeous device made of glass and aluminium and then never be able to to feel it? Imagine if people did the same for cars? Driving around in Porsches and Ferraris all wrapped up in plastic just do avoid scratches.

I rather pay my dues when ****ing up and enjoy the iPad naked and/or with cases made of premium materials.

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I have a flashy blue smartcase from Apple and I really like the look of it. Doesn't make my iPad any uglier

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's almost a no brainer for me as well, but the other way around. Let me try to explain it.

I have owned iPads since the launch of the first and, four in total and this is the first time It happened. Maybee it's a no brainer for you, but for me it's almost a no brainer to not use a ugly rubber case and protective film. Why having a gorgeous device made of glass and aluminium and then never be able to to feel it? Imagine if people did the same for cars? Driving around in Porsches and Ferraris all wrapped up in plastic just do avoid scratches.

I rather pay my dues when ****ing up and enjoy the iPad naked and/or with cases made of premium materials.

Err... bad example.

A scratch on a car and it'll still run.

A bad enough scratch on an iPad screen and it won't work as well. :rolleyes:

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Err... bad example.

A scratch on a car and it'll still run.

A bad enough scratch on an iPad screen and it won't work as well. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much Michael for pointing that out!!!

Sounds like we have the same view of things here

----------

If you have a really bad scratch on your iPad and you were would unable to watch a movie or read books or even surf the web.
Explain to me when the next time you could drop your iPad again "i will answer for you you don't know when it going to happen at all"
Oh well i hope that you drop a few more and you keep spending the money please report back to us so that i can have a good laugh at you for doing so.
Sounds like you are really hurt about dropping your iPad to because you have created a thread about it on a forum and be asking about where you could get your screen replaced.Looking forward to your response to this one

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thank you very much Michael for pointing that out!!!

Sounds like we have the same view of things here

----------

If you have a really bad scratch on your iPad and you were would unable to watch a movie or read books or even surf the web.
Explain to me when the next time you could drop your iPad again "i will answer for you you don't know when it going to happen at all"
Oh well i hope that you drop a few more and you keep spending the money please report back to us so that i can have a good laugh at you for doing so.
Sounds like you are really hurt about dropping your iPad to because you have created a thread about it on a forum and be asking about where you could get your screen replaced.Looking forward to your response to this one

Sure, the car comparison was maybe a little vague, but I still hold my believes. As I said above, I have had numerous iPads and even more iPhones. This is the first time it has happened, so I still feel that it's worth the risk. I wan't to be able to feel the premium materials that Im paying premium for.

Oh well i hope that you drop a few more and you keep spending the money
Was that necessary? Why the hate?

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
The problem what you are haven can be prevented completely i think you will find that i am correct on that note.So why run the risk of damaging your device and have to spend more money out to get your device fixed when you can just put a case on it and it would be fine that my point.

Like i have stated in the past if you want to keep using yours on that naked effect lifestyle then that that is completely up to you i am not telling you what to do i am just given you some friendly advice is clearly showing you are not going to take my advice and put something over your device to keep it from getting knocked about if you have the money to burn then that fine i am not telling you have to spend your money you can do what you want with the money but don't come on the forum and moan about something that can be easy prevented its not a like a impossible solution which can be solved so simple

At the end of the day they make cases so that you don't drop or break the device which is been used all the time if you cannot accept that then there nothing we can say on the matter really

I purely use a case because i don't want to be spending more money on the device which i have bought i am sure there is many people on the forum that use tough cases because they don't want to be spending more money then they have to

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Apple Care +

I live in Vegas and had my screen repaired on an iPad that was less than two weeks old. cost about $125

Since we have small child in the house we opted apple care plus it covers incidentally accidents for $99 and does not void the warranty.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Just cracked my iPad mini screen and dented my MBP today when opening my car door to unpack from vacation. To say I'm rattled is an understatement.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
A mere $25 more for a legit replacement backed by the manufacturer. Rather than some third party that could prove to be crap, might have damaged your device getting put on etc.

Sorry but apple care makes more sense to me. But hey it's your money, your right to burn it as you wish

Agreed, working with Apple is the easiest.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.