Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
So, i know that the standard back and forward is command and [ to go back and ] to go forward.

Question is how do i assign it as a hotkey on the keyboard? Like put it on a f key? I do have it assigned as a hotkey on my mouse but i don't like it.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
So, i know that the standard back and forward is command and [ to go back and ] to go forward.

Question is how do i assign it as a hotkey on the keyboard? Like put it on a f key? I do have it assigned as a hotkey on my mouse but i don't like it.

System Preferences -> Keyboard ->Keyboard Shortcuts

Select Application Shortcuts and click +

Select your application (Safari?) and enter your desired shortcut for Back. Do the same for Forward.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009

Select your application (Safari?) and enter your desired shortcut for Back. Do the same for Forward.

Thanks. I forgot about that.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009

Just tried this. It works but not how i want it. I think you misunderstood. I actually want to rebind command [ and command ] to a DIFFERENT key like f18 for instance. Not possible in System Preferences.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Just tried this. It works but not how i want it. I think you misunderstood. I actually want to rebind command [ and command ] to a DIFFERENT key like f18 for instance. Not possible in System Preferences.

I guess I'm still confused. In Safari (for example), command+[ corresponds to Back and command+] to Forward. If I want to use just a single keypress for Back, I can use the method in my previous post to bind Back to the left-arrow key (for example). Then I can simply press that left-arrow key to go back, instead of pressing command+[. (A function key could be used instead of the left-arrow.) These modifications work for me, but maybe I'm still misunderstanding what you want.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I guess I'm still confused. In Safari (for example), command+[ corresponds to Back and command+] to Forward. If I want to use just a single keypress for Back, I can use the method in my previous post to bind Back to the left-arrow key (for example). Then I can simply press that left-arrow key to go back, instead of pressing command+[. (A function key could be used instead of the left-arrow.) These modifications work for me, but maybe I'm still misunderstanding what you want.

You know i think its i who doesnt understand. So you rebinded command [ which is the back button to the left arrow key on your keyboard. Great, wheres the option to do this? I can only assign to a app then put in the key. Wont let me rebind.

I got it to work. I needed to put back and forward in the menu title then put my hotkey in. U didn't say this. Also, i couldn't get f19 to work so i'm using f17 and f18 as foward and back set as all applications.

Damn i good.

Last edited:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I got it to work. I needed to put back and forward in the menu title then put my hotkey in. U didn't say this.

Well, it does say "Enter the exact name of the menu command you want to add" right below the Menu Title box. :)

In any case, I'm glad you got it working.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Well, it does say "Enter the exact name of the menu command you want to add" right below the Menu Title box. :)

In any case, I'm glad you got it working.

Aw quit arguing. Its so small I looked over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.