Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but did Apple fix the memory management/allocation for apps like Firefox?

I used to see 80-100% CPU usage in ML, but so far, it's staying between 3-6.5% even with about 30+ tabs open.

Great stuff so far!

Septillion

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
China
I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but did Apple fix the memory management/allocation for apps like Firefox?

I used to see 80-100% CPU usage in ML, but so far, it's staying between 3-6.5% even with about 30+ tabs open.

Great stuff so far!

Did App Nap work? Mavericks will turn down the CPU usage of background apps. BTW, I never use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is always the best choice.

rayhigh

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Did App Nap work? Mavericks will turn down the CPU usage of background apps. BTW, I never use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is always the best choice.

In YOUR opinion. Firefox is far more extensible and customizable than Safari. :rolleyes:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
In YOUR opinion. Firefox is far more extensible and customizable than Safari. :rolleyes:

Firefox was great, now it has become too bloated. Plus it does not integrate as well as windows. Things such as zooming, scrolling etc are not even half as good as Safari. Then there is the issue with slowdown on complicated pages and lack of full HTML 5 support.

There are bugs open for all of this, which I am watching and offering to test. Also I have been using and testing Firefox since Firebird 0.6 so I know what I am talking about.

rayhigh

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Firefox was great, now it has become too bloated. Plus it does not integrate as well as windows. Things such as zooming, scrolling etc are not even half as good as Safari. Then there is the issue with slowdown on complicated pages and lack of full HTML 5 support.

There are bugs open for all of this, which I am watching and offering to test. Also I have been using and testing Firefox since Firebird 0.6 so I know what I am talking about.

The fact that you've been using it since 0.6 is supposed to impress me? That's like when I tell people I've had a usenet account since 1987. No one gives a rats.

Firefox went through a rough patch that lasted 6 to 9 months a couple years back, as I recall. Since then, it is back to its stable self. I haven't had a problem with it in quite some time. I vastly prefer it to Safari or chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

rev.b

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Portugal

Great stuff so far!

I use firefox, so I checked, and you're right. Firefox CPU usage is roughly half of it used to be with DP8.

Not complaining. ;)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
OK, if Safari is the best choice, then tell me how i can see the encryption strength for https sites in Safari!?

By clicking on the gray https (
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-05%20at%204.57.50%20PM.png
) next to the rest of the address and clicking on show certificate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 4.53.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 4.53.53 PM.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.