Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyBilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Hi, I need advice on a possible trade, basically I would be trading my MacBook Pro 15 inch non retina for a 2010 Mac Pro. My MacBook Pro is base configured (2.3ghz quadcore 4 gigs of ram, 500 gb harddrive with nvidia gt650m) and his Mac Pro is a 2.8 ghz quadcore xeon with 10gb ram 1 Tb harddrive and a hd 5870 radeon card. I was wondering if this would be a decent trade or would I be losing out. I would use the Mac Pro for 3d modeling and rendering with light coding and some gaming.

The guy wants some cash on top of the trade, but I'm thinking since the Mac Pro is 3 years old it would be a fare trade. I would also be throwing in a few accessories (legitimate copy of office 2011 and speck hard case, about $150 value). What are your thoughts, thank you.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
How much cash is he asking to add? Doing a straight trade would be a rip off for the other guy. Your copy of Office 2011 and Speck case doesn't add any value to your end either.

SimplyBilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
No idea yet, but he was asking $1500 for the Mac Pro. So I don't think it would be a bad deal for him.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
do you need that computer?

Unless your work demands it I feel like it is a downgrade. You are going from one of the best apple laptops (current model) to an outdated huge desktop.

NO macpro hate. Just dont see the point unless you need it for work.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Sounds like a decent deal, there is still a lot of life left in both the machines. If you do go with a trade, I would push back on adding cash. Should be an even trade unless they are including a display or something. Don't be fooled by the age of the 2010 mac pro, Apple was selling basically the same machine through 2013. That Mac Pro can also be outfitted with a PCIe SSD and upgraded graphics card to handle your 3D work for the next several years. It's hard to compare a mobile platform to a desktop workstation without considering your workflow. Apples to oranges, if you'll pardon the pun. :)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
If I had the MP, I'd be looking for a minimum of $500 in cash or I'd walk. And that's with your add-ons included.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Unless your work demands it I feel like it is a downgrade. You are going from one of the best apple laptops (current model) to an outdated huge desktop.

How is this Mac Pro outdated exactly? Sure it's two years older then his laptop but they only two things his laptop has on the Mac Pro is Bluetooth 4.0 and SATA 6Gbps. That's it. Both of those are upgradable parts in the Mac Pro as well.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I would imagine the deal is either done or scrapped, the original (and last post before SOMEONE dug it up) post was almost 18 months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.