Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmike316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
I am planning on getting A Ipad mini, my question is does ATT have monthly plans where you can buy data for a month at A time,then maybee cancel for A month then buy data for another month. THANKS in advance:)

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The guy at att said that if I cancel my monthly plan I would have to pay the $36 activation fee again when I signed it up again. Does that sound right?

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
These prices are robbery! Get the WiFi...pay ONCE and connect to the 10,000 WiFi spots around your area...I've had a WiFi only iPad for3 years, I can count on one hand the amount of times I needed more than a WiFi connection...worse case jump on your iPhone if you need information in a pinch...

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
There is no activation fee for AT&T iPad data plans.

My iPad 2 is AT&T cellular. Never have paid anything but the $14.99 for 250MB. I've canceled the plan several times, waited a few months before buying another 250MB. No fees.

You purchase the data plan directly from your iPad. No need to have any contact with AT&T sales people.

Edited to add that I started out with a postpaid account. There was no fee other than the cost of the plan. Subsequently switched to the prepaid account.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
One thing to remember: wifi hotspots are unsecure. Just something to keep in mind regarding websites, logins, passwords, and your personal data.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The guy at att said that if I cancel my monthly plan I would have to pay the $36 activation fee again when I signed it up again. Does that sound right?

If you sign up for a plan with AT&T as a part of your cell phone plan, that may be true.

Instead, sign up directly on your iPad and control it from there. You can add and drop a monthly plan with no activation fee (but it won't be tied to a combined cell phone plan).

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
made this little tracker for myself and added it to Numbers for an update whenever I get nervous I might have used a lot of data. I expanded it for other carriers in case others might find it useful. It only has prepaid plans in it currently but it's a spreadsheet so add accordingly. Also check my math while you're at it, did this rather fast.

hope this is cool to post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?uj7n5hzcq3hv43i

Also, if anyone wants to turn this into an app (if it doesn't exist already), i want 35% :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.