Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD.

What is the best way in going about this? And will my backup data include all of my system preferences as well? (Gesture modifications, trackpad speed, browser settings, etc.)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

What is the best way in going about this? And will my backup data include all of my system preferences as well? (Gesture modifications, trackpad speed, browser settings, etc.)

Just use the built in Time Machine for this. It will backup everything you listed. You can turn it on in System Preferences.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

I also want to know the answer to this, especially the settings part. I will be reinstalling ML as soon as I get a clear and assuring answer that with TM I will get everything back again the way it is now, but with the benefits of a clean install. Just not sure how to do it exactly. Would be useful to have a guide somewhere, perhaps one already exists?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I also want to know the answer to this, especially the settings part. I will be reinstalling ML as soon as I get a clear and assuring answer that with TM I will get everything back again the way it is now, but with the benefits of a clean install. Just not sure how to do it exactly. Would be useful to have a guide somewhere, perhaps one already exists?

If you use the Time Machine backup to either restore, or as the source for Migration Assistant, you will get all your data and settings back... but this is not really a true "clean install." A clean install involves reinstalling the OS to a blank drive then manually reinstalling everything and manually applying all settings.

The only thing Time Machine sometimes does not restore is the authorization serial numbers for certain apps. MS and Adobe apps seem to be bad about this. You just need to manually reenter the serial numbers for those apps.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD."

My suggestion:
DON'T use Time Machine.

Instead, use CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable clone of your existing drive. (Note: CCC is now a "paid" application, but you can download it and it will work in fully-functional "demo mode" for 30 days.)

Once this is done, you will have a fully bootable copy of your internal drive with everything in POFF (plain old finder format).

When it's time to restore, just use Migration Assitant (if you wish) and "point it" at the CCC backup clone.

This will give you a much more reliable backup with less chance of things going wrong on you….

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
If you use the Time Machine backup to either restore, or as the source for Migration Assistant, you will get all your data and settings back... but this is not really a true "clean install." A clean install involves reinstalling the OS to a blank drive then manually reinstalling everything and manually applying all settings.

The only thing Time Machine sometimes does not restore is the authorization serial numbers for certain apps. MS and Adobe apps seem to be bad about this. You just need to manually reenter the serial numbers for those apps.

Yes that is what I want to do. A "clean install" but I also want to keep all of my system preferences/data/settings/ etc.

Is there a guide for this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes that is what I want to do. A "clean install" but I also want to keep all of my system preferences/data/settings/ etc.

Is there a guide for this?

No... and that is the problem. You need to go into every single setting in OS X and every single app and document what the settings are, then manually reapply all those to the new setup. Not an easy thing to do, particularly if one is not real familiar with the ins and outs of OS X.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
"So I need to reinstall and have to backup my data to an external HDD."

My suggestion:
DON'T use Time Machine.

This will give you a much more reliable backup with less chance of things going wrong on you….

Why is Time Machine known to be a problem with installing?

I am not at all familiar with CC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.