Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I have never had more than 4GB ram in my computers. Granted, they slow up when too much is going on, but that's time to close some other stuff. I can't even imagine how much stuff you guys leave open to need 16GB of ram unless you need it for professional applications.

When I'm working on a few things at a time, it helps when the applications open and close quickly. So more memory is better, because they don't need to be reloaded. But even after quickly opening a large variety of programs just now, I'm still not up to 4GB.

On the other hand, the PC that I bought 10 years ago had 1GB. It sounded like a lot back then. Pretty soon, I had to upgrade. So if I can hit 4GB without too much effort now, I don't think less than 8GB is wise if you want to use your computer for a few years.

Peter.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I want to max the 11" model out (with a 128GB SSD though) which will be used for couch surfing most of the time instead of my iPad. I like to max them out so that it'll last as long as possible TBH rather then the need to run anything intensive.

I'll also be buying a maxed out rMBP 15" as well, to use as my main workhorse for my video editing etc.

My current MBP (in sig) will be sold. Then Im set for the next few years at least..............well thats what I say for the moment..............lol ;)

ukflyer

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
especially in europe where the plugs weigh more than the device;):p:D

but i really doubt we'll see a retina mba any time soon - especially not on the 11"

I am hoping that the 13" with retina will be announced in June.. do you think this is unlikely? If not, I would go with the MBP.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I am hoping that the 13" with retina will be announced in June.. do you think this is unlikely? If not, I would go with the MBP.

It is very likely that it will be announced along with the other computers at WWDC on June 10.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

i hope they offer a non retina version as well. I need/want longer battery life. and if the option was there I would rather buy a faster cpu or a bigger SSD than a retina screen.

my eye's are not good enough to see the difference between retina and normal screen on the MBP anyway:eek:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

i'm no insider, nor am i an expert by any means, but I think it is extremely unlikely that we'll get a retina screen on either MBA.
We'll know in a few days though!

the new chip will definitely run cooler and require less power but not enough to make a big enough difference. Retina takes a LOT more power. Go look at the different battery sizes in the various retina machines vs classic.

i just don't see how it would be practical without sacrificing weight or size.

the 13" MBA is already being "threatened" with redundancy with the 13" rMBP as it is. the 13: rMBP has a smaller footprint and only weighs .5 lb more...

i just don't see it happening this time around. especially on the 11" but probably not on the 13" either

but what do i know? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.