Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam-green

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
For years, I've been sending work to clients in MS Word .doc format by exporting from a Pages file. I've never received any complaints about formatting issues. Never.

Until today, that is. A client just told me she has the newest version of Word on her PC and that the document I sent her contained no bold or italic text. What I sent her, however, should have contained instances of both.

I write for a living, so it's really important to me that formatting issues like this disappear completely. Are Word document exports from Pages '09 somehow ill-equipped to be read on PCs with the latest version of Word? If so, should I bite the bullet and start using MS Word for Mac instead of Pages?

I'd be disappointed if I had to do that. Pages has been my no-frills, go-to WP for years...

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
New versions of software, be it Word or Pages, often have trouble with documents created in previous versions of anything.

If you are sharing with clients and have formatting problems, I'd switch to Word for Mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I'd be disappointed if I had to do that. Pages has been my no-frills, go-to WP for years...
The fact that you have been doing it for years notwithstanding, using Pages to produce the final draft of Word documents is an incredibly bad idea.

Your saving grace has probably been that your clients probably receive crappy Word documents from so many other sources that one more has not made a difference.

Be professional. If you must send clients Word documents, then send them documents produced using Word.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Be professional. If you must send clients Word documents, then send them documents produced using Word.

This. I also prefer Pages, but I work in a Windows environment where everyone uses MO, so when I have to collaborate on or share documents, I always use Word for mac. Like you have experienced, you can't trust the formatting to stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.