Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I'm disappointed Apple have decided to glue/solder everything down in the retina macbook pros. Yes you can still buy the upgradeable models but for how much longer? What will happen when Haswell comes out in June? I was reading that higher res laptops will be more prominent once it is released. So will this mean retina macbook pros come down in price? Will all macbook pros have retina displays and no way to upgrade anything?

I think I may be moving away if this becomes the case. At least with Dell/Lenovo you can upgrade the RAM and the hard drive and get higher than 16gb of RAM if you want. Yes they're not as pretty, but I have my ipad and iphone to look pretty. :D

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
I think it is logical to assume that as products become thinner and lighter in form factor, integrated accessories will become the norm. You already see this in slimmer Windows PCs as well. Is it ideal for users like you and I? I would prefer to be able to put additional ram into the Airs and rMBP, but I take that into account prior to purchasing. You can upgrade the SSDs, but I don't believe there are a lot of suppliers. I chose the 8GB ram model of rMBP because I got a fantastic deal on one. I would have preferred 16gb, but I am able to utilize all the same programs, just not at once.

Your mileage may vary.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think its been that way since...iPhone 1. Then the computers simply followed suite. Starting with the 2009 Rev Unibodies, then Aluminium iMacs. Mantra is simple; Integrate even tighter thus making it thinner.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I'm disappointed Apple have decided to glue/solder everything down in the retina macbook pros. Yes you can still buy the upgradeable models but for how much longer? What will happen when Haswell comes out in June? I was reading that higher res laptops will be more prominent once it is released. So will this mean retina macbook pros come down in price? Will all macbook pros have retina displays and no way to upgrade anything?

I think I may be moving away if this becomes the case. At least with Dell/Lenovo you can upgrade the RAM and the hard drive and get higher than 16gb of RAM if you want. Yes they're not as pretty, but I have my ipad and iphone to look pretty. :D

As secretive as Apple is no one outside of Apple is going to know this. But I think it is safe to assume that if people continue to purchase these products in record numbers, that will be the direction they continue to go.

I do enjoy Apple products and own many, but I do purposely choose (and unfortunately have to pay more) for models that are upgradable. I had a MacBook Air in 2011, and I thought it was a great laptop, however the ThinkPad X1 Carbon gives it some serious competition unless you must have OS X.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro (non Retina) and, a Mac mini, and a Mac Pro, all in which can be upgraded. I liked the 2011 Air, however when I started needed more than 4GB of RAM for virtual machine use, I sold it and replaced it with a more powerful MacBook Pro.

It is clearly in Apple's best interest to make non upgradeable products and as long as people keep buying them that will be the direction they will go. Vote with your wallet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.