Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadJens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Hi everyone

I just got my iMac 21.5 and am blown away! Just breathtaking, amazing, no words left! But now to my first problem with the new iMac:

I downloaded MakeMKV and hooked up a Samsung Blu-ray drive (SE-506BB) in order to rip a Blu-Ray. However, MakeMKV somehow can't open the movies that I tried. To this day I have only used Windows, so I have no clue whatsoever how to for example update the firmware of the drive!? Or what else could be the problem?

Many thanks in advance for your patience.

MadJens

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have a SE-506 bluray drive hooked up to my imac, and using the OSX version of MakeMKV it works fine.

One issue I did initially have was using the drive with a USB hub. It powered up, but didn't work, and had intermittent read errors. I discovered plugging both USB plugs (from the bluray drive) directly into my imac solved the issue.

My current setup, I have both the drives USB plugs inserted into it's own 4 port powered hub. That hub is then plugged into my main 7 port hub, which is hooked into a single USB plug on my imac. This setup provides enough power for the drive to work without intermittent errors.

I would troubleshoot by bypassing any USB hubs you have, to see if you have the same power issue I had.

MadJens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I tried again now, and suddenly it works... very strange! Although the estimated time remaining for 39GB is 2 hours!! My 2 years old vaio laptop only needed like 30 minutes... Is this normal behaviour with a maxed out late 2012 21.5 iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.