Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:46 PM   #1
njain
macrumors member

safari to firefox

I have decided to switch from safari over to firefox. How do I move my bookmarks from safari to firefox? There is no import/export option to my knowing in firefox. Thanks
njain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Senex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njain View Post
I have decided to switch from safari over to firefox. How do I move my bookmarks from safari to firefox? There is no import/export option to my knowing in firefox. Thanks
Firefox imports Safari settings automatically. Just go to File > Import... and select Safari. In the next window, check the boxes of what you want to import. For example, your Safari Bookmarks will appear in Firefox's Bookmarks menu as "From Safari." Whatever other bookmarks you had on your Safari Bookmarks Bar will automatically appear on your Firefox Bookmarks Bar, too.
Senex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3
njain
macrumors member

Ok got it to work. Thanks
njain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
swbusiness
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Firefox imports Safari settings automatically. Just go to File > Import... and select Safari. In the next window, check the boxes of what you want to import. For example, your Safari Bookmarks will appear in Firefox's Bookmarks menu as "From Safari." Whatever other bookmarks you had on your Safari Bookmarks Bar will automatically appear on your Firefox Bookmarks Bar, too.
In my version of FireFox (10.0.2) there is no Import under the File menu. Instead -->

In Firefox is Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks (this opens the Library window) > Import and Backup > Import Data from Another Browser

Note that on Mac the Import and Backup button is the 3rd from the left in the menu bar that looks like a star.
swbusiness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
cap1111
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbusiness View Post
In my version of FireFox (10.0.2) there is no Import under the File menu. Instead -->

In Firefox is Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks (this opens the Library window) > Import and Backup > Import Data from Another Browser

Note that on Mac the Import and Backup button is the 3rd from the left in the menu bar that looks like a star.
Thanks! I've been searching for an hour to get an answer - several dead ends. Your solution was clear, brief and it worked!
cap1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:20 PM   #6
SumoHamster
macrumors 6502a

You may want to consider Xmarks in the future, unless you don't like the idea of your bookmarks being in the cloud. I switch between browsers often and love that my bookmarks are always ready for me as soon as I install Xmarks.
SumoHamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:47 AM   #7
simonjt
macrumors newbie

Copying iMac Safari bookmarks to PC

I've got an iMac with Mountain Lion and OSX 10.8.2 which I use, and a PC on a separate desk next to it which my two children use, but they occasionally ask to use the far more superior machine if they both want a computer at the same time etc.
How do I copy my 263 bookmarks (which are across 10 folders) in Safari on the iMac to the PC, to be able to use when I get relegated to the PC?! The PC has Windows XP Home on it and uses Mozilla Firefox as it's browser.
I've located the bookmarks on my iMac and they total 2.2MB, but how do I transfer them to the PC? I've got a 500MB memory stick, but apparently, for some reason the memory stick says they won't all fit onto the stick; why not? I've also tried email a few at a trim, but with no luck. Is there an easier way of doing it? If so, and I eventually manage to get them onto the PC, how do I import them into Mozilla Firefox on the PC?
Thanks,
Simon.
simonjt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:25 AM   #8
poobear
macrumors 6502

In Safari, click File -> Export Bookmarks. Now you have all your bookmarks in a single file. This file is usually less than 1 MB. If you can't copy this file to your usb memory or mail it to yourself, you have far bigger problems that you need to take care of first.
poobear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:07 AM   #9
simonjt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear View Post
In Safari, click File -> Export Bookmarks. Now you have all your bookmarks in a single file. This file is usually less than 1 MB. If you can't copy this file to your usb memory or mail it to yourself, you have far bigger problems that you need to take care of first.
Thanks. I exported the bookmarks as you said and saved it to Documents. I then saved it to my memory stick, which it saved it as a html file; 27kb in size. I copied it to my PC from the memory stick, but it just opened all 263 of them as a html file, all in the correct order with folder names, but what do I do now? If I click on one it takes me to the individual website, but all I can then do is save it as a Bookmark in Firefox. Surely I don't have to do all 263; one by one?!
simonjt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:11 AM   #10
poobear
macrumors 6502

In Firefox on Windows, click Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Import HTML.

Just google "firefox windows import bookmarks" if you want additional details.
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:58 PM   #11
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

If you're using Firefox on both Mac and windows then you can use Firefox's sync feature.

Another option is to export all your bookmarks as HTML and put them on a webserver if you have webspace. A lot of ISPs provide it free. That way you can access them from any computer anywhere. Something like userid.isp.net/bookmarks.html.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store