Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Do You Use With iPad?

• iPad, Desktop Computer and Smartphone

Votes: 46 38.0%
  • iPad, Laptop and Smartphone

Votes: 50 41.3%
  • iPad and Desktop Only

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • iPad and Laptop Only

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • iPad only

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I dont use an iPad

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

CleverNotes

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Gold Coast QLD
I just got my ipad 2 yesterday and already totally addicted to it :p I use it mainly for FB and email but now find its so much better for browsing the web and for YouTube then my desktop. I do still use my desktop for basic studying and games but that's pretty much it, my life is all about my ipad :cool:

romanhdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
My iPad is my main companion throughout the day. I use it to take notes, wrote papers, shoot emails, keep up with Facebook and twitter, and to store all sorts of documents I need for class.

My iPhone is pretty much my "on-the-go" device, and I use it for just about everything. I use it mainly to listen to music and podcasts, and to text/call.

I also have my MacBook Pro that I mostly use for homework and programming.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I probably use the iPhone the most, followed by my iMac and then occasionally get hold of the iPad. Where as my wife and daughter live on their iPads and only occasionally use the iMac (and never use my iPhone!).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Dell windows i5 laptop
Google chromebook
Samsung galaxy note
iPod touch 5G
iPad mini
Apple TV

I barely use my samsung galaxy phone these days. I usually set my phone up as a wifi hotspot, I can make calls over wifi on my iPod touch and it comes out of my mobile minutes. So I'm pretty much using my ipod as my phone.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have MBP, iPad, and iPhone…also I have Netbook and Windows Desktop. I use iPad most of the time at home and on the go. I still use MBP regularly. iPhone is for texting when I am in the crowdy place like bus and train. Windows desktop for heavy downloading and photoshop with Wacom tablet. My netbook is almost dead but will use it when my windows desktop is sold. :apple:

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I use ipad, iPhone, and MBP

Ipad for my casual browsing and basic stuff
Phone for 'on the go'..usually. I do tend to use both ipad and iPhone together sometimes.
MBP for heavier duty stuff and to help customize the things I need for my phone and ipad.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

The survey shows that very few people are using the iPad alone, which is really no surprise. When folks say that the iPad has replaced their laptop, I think they are really saying they have migrated to a desktop plus iPad setup, or that they find much of what they used to do on their laptop can now be done on their tablet....not everything.......but enough that they are considering eliminating their laptop and going with the desktop plus tablet combo.

This is the change that I made, and it has worked great for me. However, it is not for everyone. It really depends on your work routine and needs.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

The survey shows that very few people are using the iPad alone, which is really no surprise. When folks say that the iPad has replaced their laptop, I think they are really saying they have migrated to a desktop plus iPad setup, or that they find much of what they used to do on their laptop can now be done on their tablet....not everything.......but enough that they are considering eliminating their laptop and going with the desktop plus tablet combo.

This is the change that I made, and it has worked great for me. However, it is not for everyone. It really depends on your work routine and needs.

Oh don't get me wrong, I own an iMac as I said in my reply, but its main use now is to restore iOS devices. My wife uses it more than me now, my main web browser is my iPad.

m1key

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I have an iPad 3rd gen, Macbook Pro, and iPhone 4S.

I justified buying the iPad before starting med school and it turned out to be a great investment. I rarely carry around my Macbook Pro (unless I am streaming a lecture for school which is more convenient using a Macbook Pro because of double speed features which aren't available natively on the iPad). I have all of my books for school, coursepacks, notes, and everything all on my iPad. I annotate my coursepacks and notes using Notability and have it synced with Dropbox so whenever I annotate or take notes I can automatically just view it on my laptop or any other place with my dropbox account. I use iBooks to keep all of my pdf books for school. Instead of carrying coursepacks which are easily 400 pgs thick, for each section or class, and massive sized books, I just carry around my iPad and a stylus. It's a pretty versatile device if you know how to make good use of it.

Sech

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
iPhone 5 - Day to day texting, a handful of apps, phone calls

iPad mini - Used a few times a day for browsing, twitter crap, misc games, task tracking, light video watching around workout, reading magazines and books.

13in Retina MacBook Pro - Used almost exclusively at home connected to a IPS monitor. Used for most web browsing, document creation, admin tasks, Citrix back into my office, a few virtual servers. I love knowing I can take the Retina anywhere at any time, but I am seriously considering selling it and getting an iMac as it rarely leaves the house.

Gaming machine - Used to play a number of games exclusive to Windows my 13 in Retina cannot handle. In all honesty, used lightly making the case even more for a iMac.

I should note on my last business trip and vacation, I left the laptop at home and only brought the iPad mini with a wireless keyboard. Worked very well.

Last edited:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
2008 MacBook Pro used as a desktop
2010 MacBook Pro used as a laptop
iPad Mini
iPhone 5

Would love to get an iMac or Mac Pro in the near future...

ben810

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
I guess probably the same as most answers - iPhone for when I'm out, iPad for light tasks, laptop for anything beyond that.

iPhone 5 - for calls and texts or for anything when I'm on the go.

iPad 2 - surfing the web, email, a few games, Skype, etc.

Macbook Pro - writing papers or taking notes on an online textbook, and a lot of downloads also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.