Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:19 AM   #2601
vulcanvillalta
macrumors 6502

"Possession" by A.S. Byatt. Really good so far!
vulcanvillalta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2014, 05:56 PM   #2602
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanvillalta View Post
"Possession" by A.S. Byatt. Really good so far!
That is an excellent and thought provoking book.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:30 PM   #2603
kazmac
macrumors 68000

film studies

Just skimmed the Argento Syndrome - a couple of interviews were quite choice.

And poured through On Set with John Carpenter: The Photography of Kim Gottlieb-Walker. Excellent book, naturally I could have done with another 60 pages of Escape From New York photos as I've never seen a lot of those. The squeal of joy when I saw the first three pictures of Kurt as Snake brought me right back to falling in love with that movie in my teens. I was surprised there were no shots of The Fog ghosts in make up though (esp. Rob Bottin's Captain Blake. ) Otherwise, a really terrific book and one I wish was twice the pages.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2014, 02:27 AM   #2604
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Decades ago I was wowed by Red Storm Rising, the ultimate WWIII book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I've not heard of that one. I'll have to look it up. I still have two credits at audible.com to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I-am-shocked.

I read it back in 86 and having just came out of the USN, was chuckling about this talk of "Steal Fighters". I was like, "yeah, right". Turned out, the laugh was on me.
I'm a little embarrassed here to admit this, but I looked on my bookshelf yesterday and saw that I actually own the book! I had forgotten that I had it and haven't ever read it yet.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:02 AM   #2605
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I'm a little embarrassed here to admit this, but I looked on my bookshelf yesterday and saw that I actually own the book! I had forgotten that I had it and haven't ever read it yet.
It's always a good time.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2014, 01:18 PM   #2606
EricNau

I've just started The Pearl that Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi.

I've recently finished The Winds of War and War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk. Really good books. And most recently I've finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which I probably would have enjoyed more if it wasn't my third book revolving around WWII in a row.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2014, 04:26 PM   #2607
SandboxGeneral

I finished the audiobook 'The Hunt For Red October' this morning and am now moving on to 'Nineteen Eighty-Four'.
Quote:
George Orwell depicts a gray, totalitarian world dominated by Big Brother and its vast network of agents, including the Thought Police - a world in which news is manufactured according to the authorities' will and people live tepid lives by rote. Winston Smith, a hero with no heroic qualities, longs only for truth and decency. But living in a social system in which privacy does not exist and where those with unorthodox ideas are brainwashed or put to death, he knows there is no hope for him.
Name:  1984AudioBook.png
Views: 31
Size:  163.9 KB
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:05 PM   #2608
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
I finished the audiobook 'The Hunt For Red October' this morning and am now moving on to 'Nineteen Eighty-Four'.

Attachment 515707
Brilliant book, an absolute classic. However, for what it is worth, I'll add to that my personal opinion which is that 'Animal Farm' is an even better work.

As an example of an outstanding masterpiece of (pristine and flawless) English prose, a brilliant work of political philosophy, and a devastatingly insightful analysis of power, all deceptively disguised as a fable, this is a work of sheer, unadulterated, perfect genius. I cannot praise it highly enough.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:13 PM   #2609
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Brilliant book, an absolute classic. However, for what it is worth, I'll add to that my personal opinion which is that 'Animal Farm' is an even better work.

As an example of an outstanding masterpiece of (pristine and flawless) English prose, a brilliant work of political philosophy, and a devastatingly insightful analysis of power, all deceptively disguised as a fable, this is a work of sheer, unadulterated, perfect genius. I cannot praise it highly enough.
Based on your recommendation here, I'll add it to my Audible.com wish list for my next audiobook.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:22 PM   #2610
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Based on your recommendation here, I'll add it to my Audible.com wish list for my next audiobook.
'Animal Farm' is that unusual work - a masterpiece of superb English prose and a brilliant example of political analysis. There are many works which have been one or the other, but a very, very few which are both. This ranks as an outstanding work of literature and a devastating analysis of politics and power.

In fact, it is so good, that you think it is deceptively simple; this is because not a word is out of place, every single word is a precisely chiselled piece of prose perfection and philosophical, psychological and political insight. And it works, terrifying well, as a story.

This was a book I always recommended to my students.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
book, movies, sci-fi