Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Okay I took a plunge and got 500GB Samsung 840SSD for my 2012 mini.
Following are things I've done so far and just want to get input from others before proceeding further

1) Format SSD by connecting it to mini using USB-Sata dock.
Created partition on it Mac-OS Extended journeled with option of partition as GUID partition table this way making it as bootable disc for OSX

2) Used carbon copy cloner and copied primary partition i.e. Macintosh-HD from my internal HDD to SSD.

3) Restarted mini and used startup manager using "Alt/Option" key on keyboard as I started mini.

My confusion starts now, Booted from SSD as external drive and it took same amount of time it used to take when I was booting from my HDD. Is this normal or am i doning something wrong ? I just want to make sure before I put SSD inside mini and would have to open it again for soem reason.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
1) Format SSD by connecting it to mini using USB-Sata dock.

My confusion starts now, Booted from SSD as external drive and it took same amount of time it used to take when I was booting from my HDD.

Your speed is getting throttled by the USB connection. That's good for testing that it will work, but you'll get much better speeds off the internal SATA connection.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Manually choose the startup disk in system prefs->startup disk. Try that, and then restart. I had a similar problem until I did that, although in my case it was after I had added it to the mini internally. That dramatically sped up booting.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Thank you all I've installed it inside but so far nothing has changed it takes same amount of time to bring me to login screen after I start my mini. Once login screen is there and I keyin my password after that it seems bit faster than hard drive but nothing exception there, I think I need clean install of ML as there might be programs and settings causing all this problems.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
is this your first ssd in a mini?

yes this is first SSD in Mini, I had SSD in my Macbook Pro and when I got Mini I used Migration assistant to bring in programs that were there in MacbookPro to my Mini. I had issue with SSD running slow on MBP and hence I'm thinking some of those problems also migrated to mini.

How do I launch mini into recovery mode so I could reset everything to factory default and install fresh copy of ML on SSD ?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
restart the mini and keep your fingers on keys 'R' and 'Command' it will boot into internet recovery do a fresh install from that.

It takes 1 to 2 hours with a good net connection.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
restart the mini and keep your fingers on keys 'R' and 'Command' it will boot into internet recovery do a fresh install from that.

It takes 1 to 2 hours with a good net connection.

Does it work with bluetooth keyboard that I've from apple of will I need USB keyboard to do this ?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Does it work with bluetooth keyboard that I've from apple of will I need USB keyboard to do this ?

WELL if the bluetooth is connected now you may get it to work. sounds like you are using it.

sometimes after the install you will need to connect the bluetooth again.

I wish I could be sure about the new install ,but I am sure you can do the install.

I keep a usb on hand for just this reason. sometimes after a fresh install it is hard to connect the blue tooth.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I would keep a USB keyboard around for option-boot use.

It seems that with a SSD boot drive, the booting process is past the option-key test before the BlueTooth keyboard is fully paired. I have found it rarely catches it on a re-boot, but if I shut it down and do a full power-up boot it will usually catch the boot-option request since it probably does some system tests and memory test which take a bit more time and the keyboard is recognized.

Once your system is fully configured, you may not require the option-key boot and can remove the USB keyboard and just use your BlueTooth one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.