Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hello
i want to buy a new mac for my home studio and i am between
the new mac mini :
2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4gb ram ...later i will upgrade to 8gb
1TB Serial ATA hard drive or Fusion Drive( what is better?)

or the new Imac:
Intel Quad Core i5 2.7 GHz
8gb ram
etc

witch of these two machines are better for a home studio?im looking mostly for better performance
im using mostly: logic, pro tools, many samples and virtual instruments simultaneously
my budjet is maximum 1500 euro
thank you

VeridisQuo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I recommend the Mac Mini as the i7 with hyper threading will do you much better for what your looking for. I assume gaming isn't a consideration, which would be the only reason I would get the iMac over the mini for its graphics card.

As for the fusion drive or the 1TB 5400rpm drive...def the fusion drive is the better of the two. Think of it as taking that 1TB hdd and adding a 128GB SSD too it, thats really all a fusion drive is...SSD Speed with added storage in one footprint, still leaves you the option to add a 2nd HDD if you need more in the future on the Mac Mini.

iMac really only adds a graphics card and IPS display. Also, to upgrade the RAM on a 2012 21.5" imac requires you to remove the screen and logic board...or pay an extra $200USD to double it to 16GB from the factory. Mac mini just requires a turning of a removable plate on the bottom. Get the Mini!

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
If you get the Mac Mini (which I think is better) then ONLY upgrade the processor - leave everything else stock. Then when it arrives you can upgrade all the RAM and the HDD to an SSD for a lot cheaper than Apples prices (and on the Mac Mini both of these operations are very easy to do).

Save yourself some money that way :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.