Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
noiseordinance
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Buy iPad mini or wait a month?

I start clinical rotations in a month and really want an iPad mini since they fit perfectly in a white coat pocket. I bought a mini yesterday and the guy at the apple store said that if a new mini comes out in the next month, they will adjust the price of my purchase for up to 30 days to reflect the price decrease in the iPad mini 1. However, I'm wondering if I should return it and wait to buy it again in a month since it would give me an extra 30 days for a price adjustment in the event the new model releases in September. I'm not too savvy with apple's release schedule, however. I realize no one knows for sure if an updated mini will be released this year at all. But would it make sense to hold off as long as possible since I have no use for the mini at the moment anyways?
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
tpho
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
I start clinical rotations in a month and really want an iPad mini since they fit perfectly in a white coat pocket. I bought a mini yesterday and the guy at the apple store said that if a new mini comes out in the next month, they will adjust the price of my purchase for up to 30 days to reflect the price decrease in the iPad mini 1. However, I'm wondering if I should return it and wait to buy it again in a month since it would give me an extra 30 days for a price adjustment in the event the new model releases in September. I'm not too savvy with apple's release schedule, however. I realize no one knows for sure if an updated mini will be released this year at all. But would it make sense to hold off as long as possible since I have no use for the mini at the moment anyways?
I would keep it. It's still worth $329 IMO even with the new Nexus 7.
tpho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:09 PM   #3
kidtachyon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
A new iPad Mini won't be released before the end of August. There is a chance one will be announced in Sept for a late Sept release.

I say get it now if you want it now. If you find a new one is released in late Sept you can decide now whether to keep your iPad or sell it and upgrade.

If I were you, I would buy now and enjoy it now. There is always a new model just around the corner.

EDIT: I see you already bought it and are wondering about keeping your 30-day adjustment period. I still say just keep it now and use it now.
kidtachyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Ledgem
macrumors 65816
 
Ledgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
But would it make sense to hold off as long as possible since I have no use for the mini at the moment anyways?
Yes, it makes sense to hold off.

I've been on clinical rotations for a few months now and find the iPad Mini to be indispensable. I take patient notes on it, I have a bunch of clinical apps loaded, I have treatment algorithms loaded, and I have a slew of study resources for downtime. A retina display would be even better (particularly for reading my patient notes), but an iPad Mini with no retina is better than no iPad Mini at all.

But I'm already on rotations, and you're a month away. Unless you're new to iOS and want to have some time to train on it, I would wait as long as you could.
Ledgem is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
noiseordinance
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Yes, it makes sense to hold off.

I've been on clinical rotations for a few months now and find the iPad Mini to be indispensable. I take patient notes on it, I have a bunch of clinical apps loaded, I have treatment algorithms loaded, and I have a slew of study resources for downtime. A retina display would be even better (particularly for reading my patient notes), but an iPad Mini with no retina is better than no iPad Mini at all.

But I'm already on rotations, and you're a month away. Unless you're new to iOS and want to have some time to train on it, I would wait as long as you could.
I'm glad to hear that the iPad mini is an awesome tool! I hear you about retina... I have an rMBP and an iPad 4, so the pixels on the first gen mini aren't the prettiest thing, but not that big of a deal. It sounds like we may not see a retina mini this year, but even if they do a hardware update, the 1st generation will go down in price, which would be nice for my broke student a**. I'll return it and rebuy it in a month since I don't have any need for it for a little while. Thanks!!
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the iPAD MINI 2 have 'retina' display and A6? Should I wait to buy the mini? saintforlife iPad 71 Jun 26, 2014 07:23 PM
iPad Mini: cheaper to buy ipad mini now or wait til after release of ipad mini 2? mackarena iPad 3 Nov 6, 2013 08:16 AM
iPad Mini: Buy the iPad mini now or wait? Liquinn iPad 34 Jun 18, 2013 11:35 AM
iPad Mini: Buy iPad mini now or wait? Liquinn iPad 6 Apr 17, 2013 12:14 PM
iPad Mini: Should I buy iPad mini now or wait? sphumi iPad 18 Feb 3, 2013 10:38 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC