Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1576
flowrider
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
Put the 5770 back in and verify that the Web Drivers are still booting by default.
Will the Nvidia Web Drivers boot with an ATI (AMD) video card being used for boot?

Lou
flowrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1577
Sohaib Najam
macrumors newbie

Going to be installing PB4 again and see if it works under there. I see no physical damage to the pins of the card as far as i can tell. If it works under Yosemite beta then it's just a drivers issue, if not probably my card.
Sohaib Najam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:31 AM   #1578
Sohaib Najam
macrumors newbie

750Ti Works under PB4 Not Official Release.

The card works perfectly fine with the web drivers enabled under public beta 4. It does not seem to work under the official OS X Yosemite. Any help would be greatly appreciated as all I get is a black screen forever if I try to boot with the 750Ti under the official release.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 2.28.51 AM.png
Views:	39
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	505811  
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:48 AM   #1579
Sohaib Najam
macrumors newbie

Everything Works Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohaib Najam View Post
The card works perfectly fine with the web drivers enabled under public beta 4. It does not seem to work under the official OS X Yosemite. Any help would be greatly appreciated as all I get is a black screen forever if I try to boot with the 750Ti under the official release.

Thanks.
Everything is working now, might have been a loose connection or something. So yes I can confirm that the current Nvidia drivers support Maxwell Cards under OS X Yosemite. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 2.46.43 AM.png
Views:	67
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	505825  

Last edited by Sohaib Najam; Oct 18, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:27 AM   #1580
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohaib Najam View Post
Everything is working now, might have been a loose connection or something. So yes I can confirm that the current Nvidia drivers support Maxwell Cards under OS X Yosemite. Thanks for all the help everyone.
as predicted, operator error

And yes, Lou, having Nvidia drivers in doesn't bother AMD cards, one of the joys of OSX.

I have 4 cMPs here for testing. Go back and forth testing things all day. Switch relentlessly from AMD to Nvidia and AMD and Nvidia in OSX.

It has always amazed me how clueless Windows remains to this day.

If you run a GTX780 then an AMD R9 in Windows then put the 780 back in Windows is frequently shocked and needs to reinstall driver. Always seems like Windows has Alzheimer's. It is better now in 8 but nowhere near as flawless as OSX.

Too bad Apple is getting so heavy handed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:11 AM   #1581
fritterrr
macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) and just threw in a EVGA GTX 750ti - the superclocked version. 2GB.

Now maybe I didn't do all my homework, because the thing aint working. I have Yosemite installed. I did not install any drivers before I installed it because I don't think I have to, right?

Anyway, what happens is, the computer boots up and the card's fan spins so I know it's working but then after about 30 seconds (i figure this is the apple logo booting but I can't see it) the computer resets. It never makes it into the OS. I tried putting the card in slot 2. Same thing. This card has no place to plug in the power adapter (if it does please show me because i cannot freaking find it).

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!!
fritterrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:47 AM   #1582
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritterrr View Post
Hey all,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) and just threw in a EVGA GTX 750ti - the superclocked version. 2GB.

Now maybe I didn't do all my homework, because the thing aint working. I have Yosemite installed. I did not install any drivers before I installed it because I don't think I have to, right?

Anyway, what happens is, the computer boots up and the card's fan spins so I know it's working but then after about 30 seconds (i figure this is the apple logo booting but I can't see it) the computer resets. It never makes it into the OS. I tried putting the card in slot 2. Same thing. This card has no place to plug in the power adapter (if it does please show me because i cannot freaking find it).

Have a CAREFUL look at that first post.

You'll note some links to....

wait for it....

The Web Drivers
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:22 AM   #1583
Sohaib Najam
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritterrr View Post
Hey all,

As it was said before, install the nvidia drivers for Mac OS X Yosemite. And in the control panel switch It from default Apple drivers to "nvidia web drivers". It does work. I'm currently using a gtx 750ti as well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:13 AM   #1584
andyrugbyref
macrumors newbie

REfit?

Does anyone know if refind will display using a Nvidia 660ti?

Grub works ok for my ubuntu and windows HDD.

has anyone tried it? bootcamp disk chooser obviously wont work.
andyrugbyref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:21 AM   #1585
omegat3
macrumors newbie

Safari glitchy on Second Monitor

Currently running Yosemite and the nvidia web drivers on a 3,1 with Dual monitors (DVI) and 660Ti and 8800GT cards. Anyone else having issues with Safari being glitchy on the secondary monitor? Break-ups, flickering text, and other visual issues. Chrome seems to be fine.

Another odd occurrence is Yosemite creating additional desktops upon restart... was up to 12 the other day without realizing it was happening.

Thanks in advance.
omegat3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1586
strophy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strophy View Post
I updated to 10.9.5 the other day, which went fine, and soon after the NVIDIA settings app requested to upgrade to 334.01.03f01. This also seemed to go well, but after rebooting only a grey screen appeared.
Update on this problem. I was able to reproduce it on my Mac Pro 3,1 with non-EFI GeForce 570 GTX by doing a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.3. I then immediately updated to 10.9.5 and installed NVIDIA web driver 334.01.03f01. After reboot, a grey screen appears and it is impossible to log in.

To switch off the web driver, hold Shift while booting to go into safe mode. The NVIDIA system preferences will not load, but if you install the driver again at this point, then go to system preferences before you are asked to reboot, you will be able to switch back to the Apple system driver again. This returns you to a working system, and you can then uninstall the driver.

Is anyone aware of a reason for this, or a way to workaround it while still loading the NVIDIA driver? Does Yosemite resolve this?

Thanks!
strophy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1587
MacGamver
macrumors member

"Computer restarted because of a problem" message

If anyone is interested, I seemed to have resolved this by rebooting using the default Apple drivers, uninstalling the NVidia drivers from the system pref, then reinstalling them from a freshly downloaded driver installer.
MacGamver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #1588
MentalVizion
macrumors member

Hey,

Can someone tell me if I will still be able to see my boot screen if I install a GT120 in Slot 1, and let's say a GTX 670 in slot 2?

Also, I read that the GTX 670 and the 760 Ti are pretty much the same model more or less. Can anyone of you still tell if one of those 2 would be better for 3d work? I am talking about Unreal Engine 4, 3D Modeling etc.

thanks!
MentalVizion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #1589
Earl Urly
macrumors regular

Running a 7300GT in Slot 1 and a GTX560 in slot 4 with no problems other than not being able to Remote Access if video is hooked up to the 7300GT.

That's on a MP1,1 though.
Earl Urly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:37 PM   #1590
MentalVizion
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Urly View Post
Running a 7300GT in Slot 1 and a GTX560 in slot 4 with no problems other than not being able to Remote Access if video is hooked up to the 7300GT.

That's on a MP1,1 though.
So your boot screen is working fine?
Sweet!

Can someone maybe answer me one last question?

If i am planning to use the GT120 to still get my boot screen, does it also need power from these available 225W?

The way I understand this whole thing is the following:
The two 6-pin connectors on the logic board can only provide 225W.
But since the GT120 does not need any additional power consumption (only PCIe) I am pretty much still good to go to use a card that draws like 220W or something like that?

It would be really nice if someone yould enlighten me here!
MentalVizion is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro