Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
so i have had this problem many times: when i plug it in to my windows pc sometimes it says "one of the usb devices has malfunctioned...."
i tried unplugging/re-plugging without success, so i rebooted it and my pc recognized it
today i got the same problem and i thought what if it's because of the lightning connector? so this time i unplugged the 8-pin connector from my ipod touch, re-plugged in but the other "side", and it solved the problem
now i remember one time i plugged in my ipod to charge and it did not recognized the power, it didn't charge, had to reboot to make it charge

so the new REVERSIBLE lightning connector has some problems?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I would get that lightning cable swapped out for another one. One of the contacts might be damaged or defective on it.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I would get that lightning cable swapped out for another one. One of the contacts might be damaged or defective on it.

I haven't had any problems with the lighting connector on OS X 10.8 or W7 or even W8.

Check to see if the connector has any of the contacts scrubbed off.
I thought about it might be damaged too, but the thing is it will work if I reboot my ipod (no need to unplug and replug)
And can it be just the ipod touch have this issue? Just realized I made this thread in iphone section.
Anyway I'll take a close look at it tomorrow when I wake up, now in bed sleeping lol

But do I get a new one at apple store? (I bought mine at best buy like 2 months ago)

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
i have a PC and the lighting plug will not charge the 5 or mini when pluged into it. it will do data transfer but not charging. i have to use a wall socket to do charging of the devices. this was not a problem with my 4 and 30 pin cables.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
And can it be just the ipod touch have this issue?
Certainly. That would be more plausible than just assuming that none of the reversible lightning connectors out there are reversible based solely on your experience and despite the experiences of others to the contrary. One data point never defines a trend.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I thought about it might be damaged too, but the thing is it will work if I reboot my ipod (no need to unplug and replug)
And can it be just the ipod touch have this issue? Just realized I made this thread in iphone section.
Anyway I'll take a close look at it tomorrow when I wake up, now in bed sleeping lol

But do I get a new one at apple store? (I bought mine at best buy like 2 months ago)

Still could be the cable. And yes, just set up an appointment at the Apple Store, and bring in the cable and they should give you a new one without any hassle.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The lighting cable IS reversible
tumblr_m46cc27xEY1rvj1oao1_400.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.