Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
My mother has switched over to her Apple TV and abandoned the DVD player completely. Every now and then, I need to transcode a disc for her. Usually, I create an image with an old iMac G4 I have, and have my i5 Mac mini transcode it in handbrake, then tag everything in MetaZ.

Well, I stumble across troublesome discs from time to time, like a stop motion animated Christmas DVD (the one with mr heatmiser), where this method doesn't work. I just connected my playstation 2 to my EyeTV and recorded it. It came out okay, but it was slow and I lost chapter markers. Audio didn't matter on a film that old. My mother wants me to transcode "Santa Paws" and I tried the latest version if Mac the Ripper the PPC supported.

Bad sector warnings, even when using arccos mode. And I didn't get anything handbrake could understand from it, so there go chapters.

Any help on ripping these troublesome CDs with my setup?

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
Have you checked the CD/DVD for damage?

Try wiping from center to edge of disc (if I remember, if this is the correct method) with very soft cotton material ?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I did that. It's fine. I really don't want to have to put it in the DVD player and watch all the way through To see if there is an actual defect.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I tried ripping that disk on an old Lennox laptop running a Windows app inside of wine. I got an ISO, but when I went to copy the damn thing, it would get to the end of file, then say that there wasn't enough space. This is while copying it to a 500 Gig drive. Is irritating as this is, I can't help but be impressed at copy protection. It's damn effective, and very clever.

----------

Linux, damnit. And why can't I edit that post? Tapatalk, you are beginning to piss me off.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I got an ISO, but when I went to copy the damn thing, it would get to the end of file, then say that there wasn't enough space. This is while copying it to a 500 Gig drive.

----------

Linux, damnit. And why can't I edit that post? Tapatalk, you are beginning to piss me off.

Was your 500GB drive formatted as FAT32? There's a 4GB file size limit with that file system that you may have been hitting.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
If you have a windows computer, Magic DVD Ripper does the job quick and easy. Haven't had a problem with ripping any DVD yet.

Hope I help!

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
For those who have ripped DVDs successfully, did any of these include ripping a DVD from one region for use in another?

I finally bought a DVD of a movie I've been searching for years for, but I had to get a region 2 version (I'm region 1 obviously). I'm looking to rip it to my MacBook's library to preserve it but I'm not sure of the best way of doing it (especially since I want to keep the subtitles too.) I'm trying to find out if I can then burn it back onto blank DVD that's either region free or 1.

I've never switched regions on my MBP (2010), so I have 5 chances to switch them back and forth if necessary for this DVD if that makes it easier to make a copy.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I use an external DVD drive to rip the discs via RipIt. The DVD drive is region-free and doesn't have riplock firmware so it will rip a full disc in 10 to 15 minutes.

I then throw the rips in Handbrake's queue and let it go while I'm at work or at night.

Works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.