Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I know it isn't currently supported in the US but it would be fun to have a couple of different phones with the same cell phone number. I wonder if there is a way to just turn one off while the other one is active? I would be willing to pay the carrier a small fee for this ability. The reason is I am kind of lusting after maybe the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One and would like to try them, but I don't want to give up my Ip5.

Last edited:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
The closest I've heard of is setting up Google Voice to forward all calls to multiple phone numbers. You then give people your Google Voice number and make calls using the Google Voice app.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I know it isn't currently supported in the US but it would be fun to have a couple of different phones with the same cell phone number. I wonder if there is a way to just turn one off while the other one is active? I would be willing to pay the carrier a small fee for this ability.

I would like that too with Verizon. Swap out different smart phones on the fly without having to go online, or calling them to activate one and deactivate the other. Just swap sim cards. Of course, until all the others go to nano sim cards it's not as easy going from an iphone to another device.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I would like that too with Verizon. Swap out different smart phones on the fly without having to go online, or calling them to activate one and deactivate the other. Just swap sim cards. Of course, until all the others go to nano sim cards it's not as easy going from an iphone to another device.

Swapping SIMs between an iPhone and another device also causes problems with iMessage, as other people's iPhones will still try to and you iMessages since it worked previously.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapters are very, very cheap (a couple of bucks on Amazon or eBay).

This will let you swap SIMs from an iPhone 5 to anything else quite easily.

However, as someone above posted, iMessage will get screwed up if you do this (it'll lose track of when you're on the iPhone and when you're not). The solution is to disable iMessage on the iPhone and not to re-enable it at all. If that's a solution you can live with, then you can swap phones as often as you feel like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.