Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
Guys... You are all wrong. Apple will introduce the Mac nano, which is basically just the logic board from the Macbook Air + MBA's SSD + integrated power supply. It will aprox. the size of 4 iPod classics stacked one upon the others. Technically that's possible. Why shouldn't they do it? They've done it before with the cube and the original Mac mini.

That would be awesome! An all flash based Mac mini in a smaller version of the new Mac Pro case..!

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
Another trash can? :rolleyes: Maybe. I guessed it would be more like the original Mac mini, but considerably smaller.

It's probably not going to happen. I don't think the mini is going all SSD in the near future, but you never know.
On the other hand if the Mini got the new design, after a few weeks most would wish they had a small square box that they could hide away somewhere instead of a shinny black dust collector on their desk.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I wonder how much smaller a Mac Mini could be if it went back to using an external power supply? Even a MagSafe, although you don't want your power cord coming out easily if there's no internal battery to keep your system running.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Go from square to round and from silver to black. Would be interesting how that looks like.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The current mini has about the perfect form factor, for use in a rack environment. You can fit two of them perfectly, side by side, in a 1U height shelf. Changing any single dimension will negate this extaordinarily efficient size.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
The new ultra compact Mac Mini

airport_extreme_time_capsule_new.jpg

They already gave you a hint.....

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
The smallest headless PC....by Intel
It's called Next Unit of Computing (NUC)

NUC-Intel-9.jpg

It's about the size of Apple TV

appletv1.jpg

----------

More images of Intel NUC

NUC1.jpg

Intel-NUC-Mini-PC-On-Display-Has-HDMI-Thunderbolt-and-Ethernet-2.jpg

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
i have completely changed my mind! the Mac mini will be the thinnest mini ever like.....this!

MD564

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for this amazing hint. Do you know it the power supply is integrated into those little things? :confused:

Just looking at the pictures over, I can say definitively no. That's a DC input [for an external power supply] on the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.