Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juliobds

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
Not sure if you guys know or are aware but there is a "rumor" going around of an apple event on the 15th of October. The source claims to work at apple from what I know. This website/community should change the name to Apple-Mostlyidevices-rumors.com

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
People "bother with the Mac" because it's a very mature GUI with nearly 30 years of interface development that runs ontop of BSD UNIX after running ontop of a co-operative multitasking dinosaur for nearly 15 years :)

Yes, that's what I said.

New adopters, post-Intel and mostly post-iGadget like the Mac because it uses the same CPU family as their previous PCs for compatabilty and they like the UNIX-like underpinnings because it's familiar to anyone who's used non-Windows OSs on PCs before using a Mac.

You mean like MS-DOS or CP/M? Those things weren't Unix-like at all. I also remember VAX/VMS, though that wasn't really for PCs.

The "Apple Tax" refers to Apple's legendary component price gouging, not simply paying more for a system for the priveledge of running their OS on their hardware.

But there was an "Apple tax" even back in the days when Macs (and earlier Apples) were more open and you could buy all kinds of 3rd-party upgrades and install them yourself. The relatively high price of Macs has been an issue as long as they've existed. Now the difference is that Macs are not as open and you will have only one choice for all hardware options.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
finally the good news, been waiting for this...

Im still on a 2008 early non unibody lol .. 8600GT video card.

This will be a huge refresh for me... anyone else still using a non unibody MBP ?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Yes, that's what I said.

You mean like MS-DOS or CP/M? Those things weren't Unix-like at all. I also remember VAX/VMS, though that wasn't really for PCs.

But there was an "Apple tax" even back in the days when Macs (and earlier Apples) were more open and you could buy all kinds of 3rd-party upgrades and install them yourself. The relatively high price of Macs has been an issue as long as they've existed. Now the difference is that Macs are not as open and you will have only one choice for all hardware options.

I don't think you understand what UNIX-like means.

I agree about the Apple Tax on all counts. Already did. It was the same in the PowerPC days when I first moved to the platform. Too expensive to buy basic component upgrades from Apple, always buying the extras like RAM, GPUs or HDDs from other sources.

Glioblastoma

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013

This will be a huge refresh for me... anyone else still using a non unibody MBP ?

Yup, still rocking the 2008 MBP penryn, 2.6Ghz C2D.

I would LOVE to upgrade, and I do have the money for the maxed out MBPr 15" - but I have a principle that I may not upgrade if I have a working machine that can do what I need it to do (web, text editing, litterature searches, movies/music, skype etc).

Had the logic board replaced in 2010.

I'm sort of "hoping" I'll drop the damn thing or spill some liquids into it, so I can finally upgrade.... Just call me Scrooge... :)

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Yup, still rocking the 2008 MBP penryn, 2.6Ghz C2D.

I would LOVE to upgrade, and I do have the money for the maxed out MBPr 15" - but I have a principle that I may not upgrade if I have a working machine that can do what I need it to do (web, text editing, litterature searches, movies/music, skype etc).

Had the logic board replaced in 2010.

I'm sort of "hoping" I'll drop the damn thing or spill some liquids into it, so I can finally upgrade.... Just call me Scrooge... :)

You can accidentally have it stolen by shipping it to me. I'll even pay for shipping :D

Hardbanger

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
New updates on MBP and MBPr ?

Do you guys think the new updates will be on the MBP as well on the MBPr ?

regards

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...

Yup, still rockin an Early 2008. It has 4GB of RAM in it and a 256GB SSD drive so that helps a little bit. I could up the RAM some more (to 6GB) but i don't see the point.

The best thing I ever did was put an SSD in the computer. That made a huge difference in how the computer felt when running. It feels so much faster since doing that .

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London

Yup on the 2.4 model. 4Gb, stock HDD,

Busted case, DVD drive, USB socket, and screen cables...
hoping I can give it some TLC in the next year or so, it's a brilliant laptop ;) having said that I haven't used it for 5 days cos I have been playing games on my iPhone with iOS 7. Lol. Ahh the bittersweet irony ;)

Photobos

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Why is the 15" Macbook £600 pounds more expensive in the UK than in America???? I know there is like £300 VAT, but what about the other £300?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.