Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cma4324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hi, I have an iBook G4 which is currently running OS X 10.4.11 and I want to replace the operating system discs that have been lost in a move. I have found some discs on ebay (10.4) that are the original ones from a Power Mac G5. I have also found some original 10.4.3 full discs (again for a G5). I wondered whether they would work on my G4?? Sorry if this is a bone question but I'm not very good with macs. Thanks

Last edited:

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
No. They will not work. Machine specific. Look for for one with a black not grey label.Those are the retail discs and will work with your iBook.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
You have to....

go and search the retail ones. If my memory works, that will be black labelled. Amazon sell it for $130 or some, plus taxes. Original, boxed edition, in case you want a reference price.

But if you want only the working discs, just search the retail ones in eBay. Can be in the $60-75 range

:):apple:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If those missing discs were the ones that came with your Mac, call apple and give them your serial number and they will send you replacement discs for a nominal charge.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Replacement discs are only available for 5 years or so through Apple. Since iBooks haven't been manufactured since 2005, chances of being able to request discs are slim to none.

cma4324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you

These answers are all very helpful and you have saved me money buying G5 discs for my G4. I will look for the black G4 discs on ebay or similar - thank you guys!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
These answers are all very helpful ...

Well, apparently with one exception. ;)

(I didn't know when they stopped making iBooks, but wasn't paying attention to that anyway. My son had an iBook, purchased in 2004 I think. But I also didn't know Apple had a "statute of limitations" on how long they'd supply people with replacement discs. Good to know!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.