Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I want to increase my network speed so that hopefully when I try to see a Youtube video on my ipad it wont stop, start, stop, I think that's called buffering. My ISP tells me currently I pay for 1.5 mbps and to increase it to 6 mbps would add $12/month to my bill. So is 6 mbps enough to stop the buffering problem?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I want to increase my network speed so that hopefully when I try to see a Youtube video on my ipad it wont stop, start, stop, I think that's called buffering. My ISP tells me currently I pay for 1.5 mbps and to increase it to 6 mbps would add $12/month to my bill. So is 6 mbps enough to stop the buffering problem?

There are so many variables to consider regarding network speed. But yes, increasing your speed from the ISP is a good way overcome buffering issues, provided the congestion or bottleneck is in fact the speed of your service.

Other factors to consider, are your wireless router or access point. How old is it, what speed is it (a, b, g or n). Is there any potential for wireless interference from other wireless routers or other devices in your area?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
6 mbps is a little low. Might be worth looking at other providers. If you increase your speed you may find you have entered a new agreement period and you are tied in for the next 12 or 18 months (at least thats how it works in the UK).

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Plus for you internal network consider getting a newer router that has Gigabit speed Ethernet ports. Plus use a site like Monoprice.com to get CAT 6 Ethernet cable. Even cable that you connect from the ISP modem to your router. This way you can make sure you have make sure your internal network is up to current times for speed.

Lastly consider you are using a wireless deice (and router)that can use the N wireless frequency (using the 100+ channel range) to make sure you are not being mixed up with other wireless access points around you. Also consider getting the os x freeware iStumbler (I linked to the beta to work for 10.8.x and Retina displays). This way you can make sure you network is different then others around you.

Last edited:

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
The whole issue started with me posting (in recent days) a question about any benefits to my getting a TC at the same time being very nervous about getting it connected correctly considering my newbie state. And I posted that my only concern with my network issues were my inability to watch youtube videos without frustrating stop, start. On another forum someone had me login to my router and from that info determined tat my current westell 7500 router was working very well with my new MBP and Ipad. And the TC would not improve anything there but increasing my network speed would help, hence this question.

I do know that a TC would provide a backup source but I can get that cheaper and connect easier.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The whole issue started with me posting (in recent days) a question about any benefits to my getting a TC at the same time being very nervous about getting it connected correctly considering my newbie state. And I posted that my only concern with my network issues were my inability to watch youtube videos without frustrating stop, start. On another forum someone had me login to my router and from that info determined tat my current westell 7500 router was working very well with my new MBP and Ipad. And the TC would not improve anything there but increasing my network speed would help, hence this question.

I do know that a TC would provide a backup source but I can get that cheaper and connect easier.

Well as long as your local network is working fine, then a speed increase from your ISP ought to fix your buffering problem.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Swell first you should dump your ISP DNS servers and go with either OpenDNS (they have an instructional video and router DNS change setup) or Google's Public DNS. This will make sure you can setup/control your own DNS and this so help you control your own tech life.

Next really learn about CAT 6 cable wiki and tech yourself to know the difference between Ethernet cables. Next learn about you router with your router's manual and learn it only has 10/100 ports on it and only does b or g wireless. These older frequencies are not the fastest you could use with a new Mac. Hook a cable from the router to you Mac and see how fast of internet speed does it run?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.