Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T909

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Okay, so I have already learned how to create a web browser on Xcode (by youtube tutorials) is there any tutorial how I could create an app for mac of my website?
I dont want to do it on automator or I dont want to use FluidApp.
Thank you very much to those who reply.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Do you know C? Obj-C? Cocoa? Xcode?

I'm quite confused what you want to do. You've made a website... Why would you want to make an app version?

T909

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Do you know C? Obj-C? Cocoa? Xcode?

I'm quite confused what you want to do. You've made a website... Why would you want to make an app version?

I've learned FreePascal and Python and a little bit C++. Now I am looking for some kind of tutorial how to do it on Cocoa if possible.

Because I want the app to bring extra features for my website.
Also, if I develop on Intel Mac will my apps run on PowerPC? (If I develop on Leopard for example)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You have a LOT of learning ahead of you :)

Your starting point could be to add a WebView to a window in Xcode, and then how to get that WebView to load the your page. The good thing about working in Cocoa is there's a huge number of tutorials online.

T909

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
You have a LOT of learning ahead of you :)

Your starting point could be to add a WebView to a window in Xcode, and then how to get that WebView to load the your page. The good thing about working in Cocoa is there's a huge number of tutorials online.

Any links for me?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
PPC is pretty much extinct at this point... Apple hasn't sold a PPC Mac in ~8 years... They're getting rarer by the day.

Edit: Okay I just did a bit of research on the rarity of PPC. Apple discontinued the Power Mac G5 and Xserve G5 on August 7th, 2006. Thus, they're currently classified as "Vintage", not yet "Obsolete" by Apple for another 4 weeks plus a few days (they get marked as obsolete after they've been discontinued for 7 years.)

Anyone still owning a PPC Mac beyond that will no longer be able to have it officially serviced. So they'll fail and few will be able to do anything but replace them (except those adventurous souls who'd like to try to find the parts from other failed PPC Macs are repair them...)

2 years ago (when the last of the PPC models were marked "Vintage") it was estimated that 4% of Macs still in use were PPC.

Also, my iMac is Vintage as of a few months ago... (I bought it Halloween 2007.)

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Okay, so I have already learned how to create a web browser on Xcode (by youtube tutorials) is there any tutorial how I could create an app for mac of my website?
I dont want to do it on automator or I dont want to use FluidApp.
Thank you very much to those who reply.

Do you want your app to go out and fetch the latest from your web site or do you want to make a snapshot of your web site today as an app that does not need network connectivity to run? There are a LOT of apps like this for iOS including Netflix and Hulu which are essentially web portals packaged as apps. There are also text "apps" that might as well be a snapshot of what a web site looked like at a certain point in time. One such app is mactracker.

If you've created a browser in Xcode, you can simply direct it to your web site and not give the user the ability to navigate away. Done. If you want to package your web site so they can view it offline, you will need to include local copies of all your web site's resources in your app's folder and point the "browser" to those local files instead of the internet.

I'm still curious why you would want to package your web site as an app on the desktop when there are so many excellent browsers available? This sort of thing makes more sense on a mobile device where you might want to scale the user interface to make it finger-friendly.

One excellent way to make "apps" is to use html5. Everything happens in the browser and while it looks like code or flash, it's really just html. One such editor is hype. It allows you to create a web app that behaves a lot like flash. I created a home page shortcut for such an "app" on my iPhone and it looks and behaves like an iOS app, complete with animated screen transitions. Hype is not free but there is a trial version available in the OSX app store or here...

Once you have the web app behaving like you want it in a browser, simply point your xcode browser at the top level file (or your web site) and you have an app you can redistribute with static (or dynamic) content. Please remember that any html files, images and javascript files you want to distribute must be added to xcode so they will be placed in your app bundle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.