Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I just got my VESA bracket for my 2012 imac, and hastily took some (terrible) shots when I got it mounted. It is a bummer that the stand cannot be removed, but for resale reasons there was no way I was buying the VESA equipped Imac. Having the stand on there is actually kind of nice, as it acts as a shelf for my DAC. With this setup I always can control my levels, for volume, and input. Also having the tilt up, and down is easier with this setup, then with my 2009, because the spring on the arm has to be cranked super tight to support these beasts.

I needed the VESA as I use this as my kitchen/dining room/ and office nook computer. I cook elaborate dinners, and having the Imac as a TV is boss. Also being able to get in close for picture editing, is a plus.

So far I am pretty happy with the bracket. I just figured I would Throw up a couple pics on the forums, since I couldn't find any before I ordered.

Please forgive the dust I didn't have a chance to straighten up before the shots. The wires will be getting more organized once my usb 3 hub arrives.

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hideous !! But that's not your fault. It's Apple's for not including VESA mount interchangeable :)

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Have to agree with iSay....but not much else you can do with the stock iMac. I would have ordered the VESA mount model...if you plan to re-sell it, the next person can find a VESA stand or wall mount pretty easily - and they would offer adjustments that the stock stand don't.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I got to say I passed my wiring through the wall for my sony monolithic tv and it looks great as the stand was hideous. But an Imac is a desktop, it looks good with the stand, and it looks far neater on a desk than a wall based on these pictures.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
It probably wouldn't look so bad without the extra cables and the... headband? Anyway, that looks painful!... especially when you extend it out. :eek:

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I must say that I am a function, over form guy. With this setup the Imac has become extremely adjustable, and versatile. Once I get the wires finished I will post up a few better balanced shots. In person it looks pretty decent. Most people who actually use vesa mounts on imacs, are in professional environments, and aren't overly worried about the aesthetics.

I do miss my 2009. It was a bit cleaner without the stand. I wish my space had room for a boring ikea desk, and surgical wire concealment, but alas. Once you go ergonomic arm you will never go back.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I must say that I am a function, over form guy. With this setup the Imac has become extremely adjustable, and versatile. Once I get the wires finished I will post up a few better balanced shots. In person it looks pretty decent. Most people who actually use vesa mounts on imacs, are in professional environments, and aren't overly worried about the aesthetics.

I do miss my 2009. It was a bit cleaner without the stand. I wish my space had room for a boring ikea desk, and surgical wire concealment, but alas. Once you go ergonomic arm you will never go back.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
it looks like any other desk larger then whats there would make it so there was no room for the inside stool.

I think the vesa mount editions of the imac are the best option right now because someone will likely come out with the imac "foot" that attaches to the vesa mount. so people who buy the vesa mount version will end up with the most options.

how close to the wall can it get. does the bottom foot limit it to being flush to the wall.

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
ergotron arm but iMount bracket

When you posted this setup I thought it looked familiar but I didn't think it was an Ergotron mounting solution. It seems that your arm is from Ergotron but isn't the actual bracket this one from imacmount ?

It seems as though you bought just before Apple brought out a more elegant solution. Given the choices available to you at the time it would seem you made the best of it. Are you finding the tilter adjustment ok with your setup ? it looks as though the monitor is always facing slightly down, as if it is too heavy for the arm to cope with.

As long as it suits your needs that is all that matters, thanks for posting and allowing us to view this solution.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Yes the vesa adapter is imac mount. The arm is ergo tron. They are sold separately. I have it tilted down a bit because this allows the most fine adjustment of the screen. I must say I actually find this setup more adjustable because when the vesa is screwed directly to the imac you need to really tighten the spring. If I so chose I could point the imac to the ceiling or th floor without wrestling it now. With the 2009 that was also mounted I had to lock the screen into place, and my one complaint about the ergo tron is that there is no lever to controll the up, and down axis of the screen, you need to use a allen key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.