Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Hi All! I work for AgileBits, just popping in to answer a few of the questions here. We keep an eye on these types of posts as best we can to make sure we can help however we can.

For what it's worth, all users that purchased from the Mac App Store will get a free upgrade to version 4. So, there's no need for the App Store to have upgrade pricing options.

Thanks for the info! Picking this up today.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
AGKyle, will there be any promotional discounts with the new version?
I've bought 1pass for the Mac if that helps? I've got the iOS version on price watch currently

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
This Application must cost $99!! anyone that says it's not worth the $17.99 don't have a clue how extremely useful this Application is. I use it since version 2 on the Mac and any paid update is worth the money.

Very secure and portable. I run 1Password 100 times a day on iPad, iPhone and Mac. This is not a Toy App!!

AGKyle is that you ... :D

Own 1Password on the Mac but kept going back to LastPass (LP), 1Password does not recognize (some) websites that are asking for username/password combo ... LP does a better job

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I've bought 1pass for the Mac if that helps? I've got the iOS version on price watch currently

Count me in, I missed the last discount. But would really like to pick this up (both the OS and iOS app) if you guys will run another discount.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
1Password for OSX and iOS - easily one of the best software purchases I have ever made. Works great! I for one have no problem paying someone for something that I use everyday and works extremely well. Thank you AgileBits!

1Password is hands down the most valuable piece of software I have ever purchased. It's saved me from the burden of remembering passwords for the hundreds of accounts that I have. Its given me peace of mind, knowing that I have unique, secure passwords for all of my accounts, all because I know that I don't have to remember them all. It's saved me hours of typing login credentials (no kidding, with the amount I use this program, it adds up to hours).

The only program that has given me even remotely comparable value is Adobe Creative Suite, and that's only because I use it for my profession. Even still, it cost me 50 times more than 1Password did.

Kyle, keep up the good work. Your app is solid. Took some time to decide to cough out the money for it. But you do pay for quality. Have OS X app as well. Waiting for iCloud syncing. Also would be nice if the app was smarter in naming the websites. (ie instead of secure.newegg.com just Newegg.com etc)

I love this app. Got it on my iPad, iPhone and mac pro and don't regret one bit investing in it.

Before 1password, I would re-use the same passwords / usernames all over the place, because it was just easier than memorizing separe logins to all the sites i've registered with throughout the many years of being on the net. I would have to write down passwords and hide them (just in case I forgot). The problem was that sometimes I hid them too well and I could not even find some of those hidden passwords scattered all over the place.

I recently looked at all the passwords I now have saved and I could not imagine keeping track of all those unique passwords without something like 1password.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you. Many members of our team, including our founders, have read this discussion and it always puts a smile on their face to see happy users. You're the reason we do this and it definitely means a lot to hear from happy users of 1Password.

Don't worry, you're not alone.

As mentioned to other users. Email us (link is located in my signature) and we'll see what we can do to help.

AG Kyle - could you look at updating the app so that you can have the option to change it to UK. I don't think this would take long to do at all, and would make it a lot easier for uk users as currently I have to delete the US fields and replace them with the uk ones.

Just that the app seems very tailored to the US when a lot of customers are from other countries.

Could you please email us with specific UK related issues? We have 3 members of our team in the UK and they've not had any real issues with the application. The most common is the "credit card / debit card" thing and this doesn't really matter too much. To the application it treats them the same and you can use the credit card area to store your debit card just fine.

The only other one that may be somewhat US centric is the identity information but this sort of has to be geared towards a particular set of information because of the filling feature we provide with it.

We're certainly open to hearing your suggestions and concerns though. This just isn't the best place to discuss them (too much other stuff going on and I fear it'll get lost).

Me too. Actually I don't really mind if I can't get a free upgrade because I know it's the major update so you have to pay for the new version.

But the most annoying is they even pull the old version (1password3) out of the Appstore with the reason that they afraid customers will be confused which app they should buy.

Thank you but NO. I used to be a fan of 1Password both in Mac and iPhone but I don't think 1password is the trustable app anymore.

Try to imagine if you waste your $18 and in next 3 months they release 1password5 and force you to buy the mew version instead of let you download the old one in case you need to.

You can re-download old version from the list of your Purchased apps.

As someone who works in support, this was a tough decision to make, but one that we felt was important. We previously had 3 versions in the App Store and this alone caused a tremendous amount of confusion. Users may not see this but in support, we seen so much of it that going to a single app was one of the single best features of the new app.

Had we added yet another to list this, making it 4 apps, then the confusion would've been even greater and the explanations we would've had to provide for customers asking questions (and there were a lot of them) would've been even more convoluted.

One thing I always have to remind myself is that I'm a pretty knowledgable person. It sounds like you are as well and to us, these types of things are very simple to understand. But, think about those people in your life who don't understand technology very well, how confusing is it to them to have to pick between two applications, let alone four? If I told my mom to buy an app and there were two, she'd freak and not know which one to buy and I'd have to explain it to her. Of course, she has me to help her, but not everyone has that.

This normally isn't a big issue if you can issue refunds in the case of a mistake, but when you can't issue refunds like in the App Store then this simply compounds the issue and frustrates the customer when they found out they purchased the previous version, not the old one.

So, I do want to apologize for the inconvenience but in the big picture, we had to do what was right for our users and make sure that any new purchasers got the new app and didn't mistakenly get the previous one by accident.

----------

Count me in, I missed the last discount. But would really like to pick this up (both the OS and iOS app) if you guys will run another discount.

It's too early to say. I'm just not sure if we are or not. It's not one of the decisions that I make, it comes from higher up the chain of command :)

If you're really interested in knowing more, please either subscribe to our blog or newsletter (it's very low traffic, 4 or so a year and we never share that info with others). We will announce the release of 1Password 4 for Mac and any promotions there as soon as we have information to give and whether there will be any sales or promos going. Including for the iOS app (not just Mac).

Wish I had more to tell but there just haven't been any decisions made, as far as I know.

AGKyle is that you ... :D

Own 1Password on the Mac but kept going back to LastPass (LP), 1Password does not recognize (some) websites that are asking for username/password combo ... LP does a better job

Nope, wasn't me. :)

All joking aside, I try to stay away from any discussion about competitors unless the information being mentioned about 1Password is misunderstood or confusing. In those cases I'll step in and provide information but still avoid the discussion of other applications.

I'm a big believer in users having the choice to choose what application fits their needs. We all know at AgileBits that our application works really well for a lot of people but it may not always work for everyone.

We strive to make it better and we certainly welcome feedback from users. We're happy to work through troublesome logins with users too (I often research why certain logins fail so it's a bigger part of my job here). I think some of the changes we'll be making in 1Password 4 for Mac will make a lot more time for us to improve the filling and saving features in the browser :)

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Could you please email us with specific UK related issues? We have 3 members of our team in the UK and they've not had any real issues with the application. The most common is the "credit card / debit card" thing and this doesn't really matter too much. To the application it treats them the same and you can use the credit card area to store your debit card just fine.

The only other one that may be somewhat US centric is the identity information but this sort of has to be geared towards a particular set of information because of the filling feature we provide with it.

We're certainly open to hearing your suggestions and concerns though. This just isn't the best place to discuss them (too much other stuff going on and I fear it'll get lost).

It's really just a few small things that, as you have said, people from non-US countries must work around. I will email support with them and perhaps one day you will be able to select which country the app be tailored to. Still without these minor things its a great, and one of my most used, apps and I couldn't live without it - keep up all the good work :D

errin

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
So you knew that your comment about inability to download old version of 1Password was false yet you still made it? Trolling much?

You have the following options:

1) Bite the bullet and scroll a list of 1000 apps (it might become smaller if you will hide apps that are already on your phone). You only need to do it once!

2) Use iTunes to reinstall the app (same list but with much less scrolling on a Mac/PC).

3) Use iTunes to trim the list of purchased apps by hiding the ones you no longer need (that's what I did - my list went from 700 to about 150). Hide apps that are no longer supported, apps that you've tried but decided not to use, free versions of apps bought later, irrelevant apps for past events, crapps, etc (you can always unhide them later, should you change your mind).

Basically I find it hard to fault AgileBits - they did everything right.

So why did the remove the 1Password3 from the Appstore? Just because they care so much about new customer but left the old ones?

I don't care being a troll in you eyes and I don't think I do anything wrong.

As I mentioned before I understand that the major upgrade mean new purchase but is it really that important to remove the app from the Appstore?

iTunes has a good searching function but they cut that out and force users to do it manually. This is 2013 and you still think your suggested choices are the best?

I don't think they did everything right neither nor you.

----------

@AGKyle

Thank you for your kindly respond. Apology accepted.

I understand your situation I thought if you choose to use the name for each app like "1Password3" "1Password4" It wouldn't be confused. And yes, I might wrong about that too.

May I ask you what if in the future you release the new version of 1Password (maybe 1Password5). Will you ditch out the current 1Password from the Appstore like the last one? Maybe I might reconsidering about buying this app.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
So why did the remove the 1Password3 from the Appstore? Just because they care so much about new customer but left the old ones?

I don't care being a troll in you eyes and I don't think I do anything wrong.

As I mentioned before I understand that the major upgrade mean new purchase but is it really that important to remove the app from the Appstore?

iTunes has a good searching function but they cut that out and force users to do it manually. This is 2013 and you still think your suggested choices are the best?

I don't think they did everything right neither nor you.

----------

@AGKyle

Thank you for your kindly respond. Apology accepted.

I understand your situation I thought if you choose to use the name for each app like "1Password3" "1Password4" It wouldn't be confused. And yes, I might wrong about that too.

May I ask you what if in the future you release the new version of 1Password (maybe 1Password5). Will you ditch out the current 1Password from the Appstore like the last one? Maybe I might reconsidering about buying this app.

I do want to clarify that we definitely didn't want to leave existing users behind. That was certainly not our intent.

Naming the app is one thing but often when users search for an application they just hit the first thing that comes up and they purchase that. We didn't want to risk 1Password 3 being the one that came up first. Look on the iPhone where it only shows a single app at a time. Imagine 1Password 3 coming up first, not 1Password 4. Also, we couldn't mention in the description that there's a newer version out. Apple has a lot of weird restrictions on what you can say in the description of the application.

We just couldn't find a good way to make it work while keeping them in the store. The app isn't "removed" from the store, it's still there in the purchases area, but it isn't for sale any longer. That is one key difference. Alternatively you could goto purchases on your Mac/PC and download it there. Then sync it by using iTunes. I know you said you had a lot of purchased apps so this may be another alternative. Just throwing it out there, not sure if there's a valid reason for not doing this though.

As for future versions. We're so far out from 1Password 5 (version 3 was out for 3 years before version 4 was released) that I just can't give you any indication of what may happen. A lot can change, maybe Apple allows upgrade pricing, maybe there's some new fancy way of handling all of this. We just don't know. 1Password 4 has been out for about 5 months. We haven't released version 4 for Mac yet, so there's a lot of time between version 4 and version 5 being released. It's not even something we're talking about at this point.

Do note that we released 1Password on the App Store way back when it was first opened. We never charged for version 2 or version 3 of the application for existing users. So, that was 3-4 years of free upgrades for users.

I'm not sure what will happen in the future. I'm also not one of the people that make these types of decisions. While I can certainly give feedback to those who do, it's not me that makes the ultimate decision. I'm just a support guy :) I do what I can to help users like yourself but I can't make any promises about the future, it's outside my job description.

I'll certainly pass your feedback along to the developers. Note that they also have been reading the discussion here so they're probably already familiar :)

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
When the iPhone was announced and I was looking to switch from Symbian, not having a "password storage/locker app" of any kind was a big concern. I managed somehow for a while, and Agile soon had a bookmarklet solution (if I'm not mistaken). Eventually the AppStore opened and 1Password for iPhone and then a Pro version came out. I bought these apps.

Simply put, outside of Phone, Messages, Mail and Safari, this is without doubt my most used app. I've praised its benefits to many a friends and coworkers, many of whom went on to use the app, and have thanked me for the recommendation. I simply do not understand how people manage without an app such as this, and I find that 1Password does everything I need. I did look at the competitors, but as someone mentioned, the subscription-nature of Lastpass seemed more expensive in the long run. I use the app daily. I do miss the bookmarklet feature which I believe was removed at some point.

I will say that when I purchased an iPad for my wife just a few weeks ago, and went to download 1Password for her (she too is a convert now, and has been using it on her iPhone for a while), I was disappointed that I couldn't simply download the app from the appstore as a new version was out. I did search through my long long list of previously purchased apps, it's too long to go through one by one, so I sorted it by alphabet, thinking that 1Password would be at the very top or bottom, but for some reason could not find the app. So she's been without the app on her iPad, and it's just one of many things on our ever-growing list of things I need to "get to and resolve".

I do understand the confusion, and frankly, I agree, having three apps on the store before was confusing even for someone who's "into this stuff" like I am. Wish the AppStore had a better way for dealing with the issue like the one faced by Agile (i.e. removing/hiding the old app, to make room for the new one).

Kyle - you guys rock, keep up the good work.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The whole 1password/1password pro thing was annoying a few years ago so I think they are right to just have version 4. Its not like they make you rebuy the app every 6 months.

I haven't actually tried the competition but I've always loved 1password so much that I've never felt the need to do so. Looking forward to version 4 on osx

figaro331

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
onesafe vs 1password

Cool stuff, not that I'd use any of it but cool stuff.

I don't understand you, Guys- why do you need 1password for $17 if onesafe:
http://www.onesafe-apps.com
cost much less, just $6.00 and has more features!
I'm using it for 2 years and very happy with it. It has military grade AES-256 encryption and PBKDF2 key protection.
;););)

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France

If you want to reinstall apps you've purchased before - you have "Purchased" section of App Store. This is how you are supposed to do it, and it's the same with music / films / books / etc. Yes, if you have 1000 apps in there, it might be a bit of a chore to do it - but this is a problem that Apple should solve (by adding search in Purchased), not AgileBits. In fact, if Apple would have bothered to implement upgrades for the App Store - the whole situation wouldn't have happened at all.

Keeping old version of an app available for new purchases will inevitably lead to people buying old version by mistake and getting irate at developers about it - it is not worth the hassle, just because you are too lazy to scroll a few screens or too lazy to clean up list of your purchases.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Sorry for the delay in getting back in here.

I will say that when I purchased an iPad for my wife just a few weeks ago, and went to download 1Password for her (she too is a convert now, and has been using it on her iPhone for a while), I was disappointed that I couldn't simply download the app from the appstore as a new version was out. I did search through my long long list of previously purchased apps, it's too long to go through one by one, so I sorted it by alphabet, thinking that 1Password would be at the very top or bottom, but for some reason could not find the app. So she's been without the app on her iPad, and it's just one of many things on our ever-growing list of things I need to "get to and resolve".

I do understand the confusion, and frankly, I agree, having three apps on the store before was confusing even for someone who's "into this stuff" like I am. Wish the AppStore had a better way for dealing with the issue like the one faced by Agile (i.e. removing/hiding the old app, to make room for the new one).

Kyle - you guys rock, keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

The bookmarklets were removed for security reasons. But since then we've been investing heavily in trying to make the web browser that is built in more useful. Hopefully we'll see more tools from Apple to make this more useful in iOS 7, too.

I totally understand the issue with the finding an app in Purchased. My best advice is to download it from the Purchased area in iTunes and sync the app (if you do a manual sync, turning off automatic) you can do this really easily I think. I haven't done it since I only have around 150-200 apps (admittedly I'm on the lower end of the purchased app number!)

If you ever need help let us know via the link in my signature.

Keeping old version of an app available for new purchases will inevitably lead to people buying old version by mistake and getting irate at developers about it - it is not worth the hassle, just because you are too lazy to scroll a few screens or too lazy to clean up list of your purchases.

I don't think we want to call people lazy :) For some users it is a legitimate issue. We are in agreement that Apple needs to improve it though. The App Store needs some love I think but hopefully they'll get there so that users who have a lot of apps can more easily locate the purchased apps.

One thing I wish they did was more of a tutorial on how to install purchased apps again. It's not always very clear to users that Purchased apps is used for this.

I'm still seeing a crash when using the browser in this app.

I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password.

Please email us at support@agilebits.com and let us know so we can take a look. If things are ever crashing, we want to know about it so we can fix it.

You're welcome to mention my name in the email or the subject and someone will notify me if they stumble on it. I'll do my best to get everything fixed up for you.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Price drops today! I'm picking up the iOS version to go with the desktop version :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.