Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I'm thinking of buying an Apple TV especially for its home sharing support. But I have a couple of questions about it:

1. If I set up the Apple TV using one Apple ID but my Mac or iPad is on another Apple ID, then will I still be able to stream movies, TV shows, etc from the Mac or iPad using home sharing?

2. If not, can I change the Apple ID I am logged in with on the Apple TV easily and quickly without a whole device reset or something big like that?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The Home Sharing may use different Apple ID than your iTunes Store accounts. Recent FW update on aTV also brought along the possibility to use multiple Store accounts (Apple ID-s) on same aTV and switch between them easily.
You will only need to make sure all your Home Sharing devices are authenticated with the same Apple ID. You might even create one specifically for that purpose.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
The Home Sharing may use different Apple ID than your iTunes Store accounts. Recent FW update on aTV also brought along the possibility to use multiple Store accounts (Apple ID-s) on same aTV and switch between them easily.
You will only need to make sure all your Home Sharing devices are authenticated with the same Apple ID. You might even create one specifically for that purpose.
Thanks for the reply but err could you please break that down further for me? If I am logged in using my iTunes account A on the Apple TV and another Mac has some home movies saved on iTunes using Apple ID/iTunes account B then are you saying I can not stream the home movies to the Apple TV?

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the reply but err could you please break that down further for me? If I am logged in using my iTunes account A on the Apple TV and another Mac has some home movies saved on iTunes using Apple ID/iTunes account B then are you saying I can not stream the home movies to the Apple TV?

I only use a single iTunes account for home sharing so I can't directly answer the question above, however do not forget about airplay.
I have had occasion to stream movies, TV shows, and music from various iPhones, iPads, and Mac's without any issues

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Both A and B will be able to stream via AirPlay. I.e. you start playback in your iTunes and turn on AirPlay to stream to aTV. That way each iTunes provides it's own decryption for DRM-d content.
airplay-video-from-itunes-to-apple-tv.jpg

In order for aTV to be able to browse your computers' shared libraries from it's UI and start playback from aTV, they need to be in same Home Sharing group (authenticated with same credentials).
HS authentication is also on iTunes separate from Store login. See under File > Home Sharing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.