Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Well all you need there is a £40 bluray player per TV, instead of a £99 Apple TV per TV.
I picked up a free HD TV show from iTunes during a Christmas giveaway event but it won't play on my iPod Classic (2008). Whereas all my films on physical media play on my 2006 PS3 :).

And if you don't want to lose them you can always do a backup. DVDs are very simple and I think there's a convertor for blurays too. Just incase you want digital download levels of backup security.

A 40 pound BluRay player? ridiculous! You can't get a good one here in the states for less than 90... Lucky brits.

Yeah, but Macs don't have BluRay drives, and that's illegal to "backup" DVDs/BluRays.

----------

you can buy a blu ray with a digital copy and redeem it in itunes

otherwise DVD's from 15 years ago play in all blu ray players. and they will play in the upcoming 4K players as well. that's decades of compatibility right there

who knows what is going to happen with digital copies in 20 years? itunes is a growing business and in these cases its always customer oriented. once revenue/profits stop growing every company starts finding ways to charge customers more money

like Apple's going to say "pay us more, or you can't watch your media"....

And how about those VHS tapes? Those still easy to find a player for?

----------

If you rip an image, you can always burn a copy of it.
And what was the resale value of your digital library again?
What's the legality of pirating content again?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Btw,
why do these kind of sales for digital content exists?
Does Apple buy certain amount of licences and they get old at some point and then Apple will loose all money invested in those licences?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
That's not pirating. Unless he sells his original copies while still using his backed up copy..

dvdwarn2.jpg

I'm no expert, and I'm not saying your wrong either, but a few keywords do stand out:

"The unauthorized reproduction or...." and "infringement without monetary gain"

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the issue can chime in.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

I'm no expert, and I'm not saying your wrong either, but a few keywords do stand out:

The thing is, it is legal to back up your own collection and as long as you can prove ownership of the original disc. I do this and am fine with it and still have all of my DVDs in a giant case.

The reproduction for personal use as a backup does not constitute infringement since that portion of the statement applies when copies of movies are made and given to others without monetary gain.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002

I believe duplication of movies for the purposes of backup is counted as fair use and "authorized reproduction". There are a number of rules that go along with the handling of the backup copy. You can only sell the original, and if you do, you are required to either destroy or sell the duplicate with it.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Sigh… Supersadtown. I would have loved to get the Harry Potter Collection.

I usually check on my AppleTV late Monday night to see what the 99¢ rental of the week is. I didn't last night, and then I read the news probably about thirty minutes too late this morning.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I too got all excited on the $9.99 offer, just to be let down when it errored and modified to $59.99.

Regarding buying movies, I think the store would be very wise to allow a rented movie to be converted to a purchase within the 24 hour time period of its rental. I rented Oblivion last weekend and really liked it; I could see myself watching it again and would have gladly converted that $5 rental into a $15 purchase. But since it would have cost me the $15 ON TOP of the rental, I decided that for $20 I'd just order the blu-ray on Amazon and rip it to add to my digital collection. For the same amount I get the physical disc and offline viewing options. I'm sure Apple is doing just fine on movie rentals and purchases, but it does seem like they could really boost their revenue (and their influence) by exploring this "convert your choice" option.

Digital movies should NEVER be more than physical copies. Ever. $10-$15 is, IMO, a reasonable price for a digital movie purchase, and the sweet spot where I can justify an impulse buy. Anything more and I have to think too hard about it, which means I either don't buy, or I buy the physical copy. (Even then, I won't pay more than $20 for a BR.)

You'll be happy to hear that the Oblivion BD comes with an HD iTunes Digital Copy. No ripping required, and it'll be just like if you had bought it on iTunes, and got the BD free. :D

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
GAAAAHhh!! WHY!?? WHy didn't I log into MacRumors before going to be yesterday!?!?! That's the ENTIRE Harry Potter collection for $10!!!! :eek:

CURSES!

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Damn, I should have known it was too go to be true. I waited to show my wife the 9.99 deals and now they are gone.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm curious, when you buy one of these "bundles" from iTunes, do the movies show up independently in your library, or do they appear as one movie that you click on to open and show the individual films - like TV series do with individual episodes now? In other words, if I were to buy the Harry Potter bundle, would the image in my library be the cover for the bundle or would all eight individual movies be there?

Independent. :D

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Clearly the $9.99 price was an error.

Clearly

----------

The thing is, it is legal to back up your own collection and as long as you can prove ownership of the original disc. I do this and am fine with it and still have all of my DVDs in a giant case.

The reproduction for personal use as a backup does not constitute infringement since that portion of the statement applies when copies of movies are made and given to others without monetary gain.

This is exactly my understanding too. I personally have watched my last DVD/bluray get destroyed by my kids, lol, so all mine too are stored away while I simply teach the kids how to use the Apple TV for the "backed up" versions. Lol.

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
One thing should be obvious to the studios from this. If you sale your wares at a reasonable price people will beat down your doors to buy. As a side benefit most likely piracy would decrease as well.

shorn

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
One thing should be obvious to the studios from this. If you sale your wares at a reasonable price people will beat down your doors to buy. As a side benefit most likely piracy would decrease as well.

Thats been my thinking all along. Take the App Store as an example. The majority of people don't think twice about buying apps that are in the lower price range. If they dont like the app, no biggy, it didnt cost much.
Imagine every standard album on iTunes is priced at £0.99 as opposed to to average £9.99 - do you think it's possible to sell more than 10x what they sell at the moment? I do for sure. Not to mention your more likely to get more fans/more people accessing your music and therefore more tickets sales. I don't think i'd ever look elsewhere for music again!
Ditto for movies and TV.

dogbertd

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Dundee, Scotland, UK
I just got off of a chat with apple support, and this may have already been brought up, but the studios set the price for the movies. I've been trying to buy the Harry Potter collection for $10, and it has been flipping to $60. And I guess this isn't really an apple or itunes issue.

I've never understood this argument. If the studios set the price for Apple (poor, helpless, Apple, only the most valuable company on the planet by market cap), how come they don't set the price for Amazon, where it's usually cheaper to buy an actual Blu-Ray? Personally I've always thought this was just Apple's way of ensuring they get their healthy 40% cut.

Somehow I think that if there was some competition for buying movies to download that Apple would suddenly and magically find they could drop their prices.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I've never understood this argument. If the studios set the price for Apple (poor, helpless, Apple, only the most valuable company on the planet by market cap), how come they don't set the price for Amazon, where it's usually cheaper to buy an actual Blu-Ray? Personally I've always thought this was just Apple's way of ensuring they get their healthy 40% cut.

Somehow I think that if there was some competition for buying movies to download that Apple would suddenly and magically find they could drop their prices.

amazon buys the disks from a distributor or straight from the studios for a wholesale price and sells them at whatever price they want.

the way itunes works is that the content owner sets the price they want to sell their content. apple is only hosting and billing and taking a percentage of it

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
What happens to duplicate purchases?

I have a few movies which are included in some bundles in SD.
Has anyone re-purchased within a bundle?

I can't purchase in HD for a movie I already have in SD, as it just says PLAY (on AppleTV at least).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.