You obviously mean in 1 year.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 03:39 AM   #28
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
Double? You're dreaming.

I know, I've upgraded nearly every time a new chip is released & implemented in a new MBP. They never live up to the marketing hype. It's just a fact of life and not a knock on Apple or Intel. They've got a job to do and Apple is the master at marketing. They can sell anything, how do you think they generate the billions they do, by convincing people they've got to have it at all costs.

When one keeps it in perspective it's no surprise, nor is it disappointing.
It's just a fact of life, and it's only a computer.
Then I'm a good dreamer. Ive have '09, '10, '11, 12 and now '13 MBAs. This one is about double any of them. It's the first laptop that I never needed to worry about charging during a normal day. I just charge it at night... like my iPhone.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:40 AM   #29
Booji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
What does Chrome do that Safari doesn't that causes it to be more power-hungry?
I'd love to know. I use the coconut battery app and when I use Chrome, the power consumption zooms up. Safari is very efficient. Somebody told me that Chrome treats each tab as a full running instance running in background all the time, while Safari only runs the open tab.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 06:41 AM   #30
rillrill
macrumors 6502

when you dont have charge yr laptop until you go to bed then youll know.
rillrill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #31
Booji
macrumors 6502

Today I ran my 11" all day....at the end of the day there was no heat at all...practically room temperature - the metal even felt cold. Haswell is really amazing!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:07 PM   #32
w00d
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm interested in the real world battery life. A fact that's hard to discover since most people who buy one will naturally make rather exaggerated claims. There's so many variables when it comes to battery life, we are all unique in our usage. Short of just jumping in and spending thousands to find out, it's a crapshoot.
Compared to the 2012 MBA 1.8 that I had... the 2013 MBA 1.7 is giving me twice the battery life. Maybe a little more.
w00d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:34 PM   #33
Scott6666
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
Today I ran my 11" all day....at the end of the day there was no heat at all...practically room temperature - the metal even felt cold. Haswell is really amazing!
i5 or i7?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Kansas View Post
I have both a 2012 i7/8GB/256GB MBA and a 2013 i7/8GB/512GB MBA. It is double in real life situations.
A single sample fails to prove anything.
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 07:00 PM   #35
Aylan
macrumors regular

Quote:
What does Chrome do that Safari doesn't that causes it to be more power-hungry?
-Chrome has Flash, Safari does not.
-Safari is heavily optimized for Apple hardware and the OS it ships with.
-Different tab management.
-Chrome has terrible resource management!

I just tested the last item. I opened Safari and Chrome and had 4 tabs open on each, all to the same sites (CNN, Facebook, Macrumors, MacNN) Chrome is sitting at around 70% CPU usage (app is in the background) while Safari is at around 20%.

Chrome sucks!!
Aylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:15 PM   #36
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylan View Post
-Chrome has Flash, Safari does not.
-Safari is heavily optimized for Apple hardware and the OS it ships with.
-Different tab management.
-Chrome has terrible resource management!

I just tested the last item. I opened Safari and Chrome and had 4 tabs open on each, all to the same sites (CNN, Facebook, Macrumors, MacNN) Chrome is sitting at around 70% CPU usage (app is in the background) while Safari is at around 20%.

Chrome sucks!!
I don't see why anyone would use Chrome personally unless you own a Chromebook and are forced to. Firefox seems like a better alternative if you don't like Safari. The number of extensions on Firefox far outnumbers those on Chrome.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:33 PM   #37
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
A single sample fails to prove anything.
Well, you don't seem to want to believe 3rd party reviews, me or the other posters (w00d, flynz4) anyway, so I guess all that my single sample appears to prove is that you are just contentious. I really don't care if you believe me or not; it's your loss. I'll just be content in experiencing my 2X battery life on my 2013 MBA compared to my 2012 and you can be content in your stubbornness.
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:51 PM   #38
Booji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6666 View Post
i5 or i7?
its i5 8GB

----------

Quote:
I don't see why anyone would use Chrome personally unless you own a Chromebook and are forced to. Firefox seems like a better alternative if you don't like Safari. The number of extensions on Firefox far outnumbers those on Chrome.
I just love chrome and its hard to stay away - its fast, has clean and simple interface, great extensions and best of all the sync across all of my devices (work Windoze PC, iPad, iPhone, Mac)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:18 PM   #39
w00d
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm just glad we have several really good browsers to choose from. They all have pros and cons.
w00d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:01 AM   #40
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Kansas View Post
it's your loss. I'll just be content in experiencing my 2X battery life on my 2013 MBA compared to my 2012 and you can be content in your stubbornness.
I don't understand your desire to assume. My 2012 has been just fine. Perhaps you only read part of my original post then assumed the rest. Or maybe you just like violating forum rules so you can make it personal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
I'm just glad we have several really good browsers to choose from. They all have pros and cons.
True

Chrome works best for me. Fast reliable and loads of great extensions. Far better than safari.
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 03:27 AM   #41
AXs
macrumors 6502a

when I'm plugged in, I use chrome.

But through out the day I use Safari and Click2flash. It really prolongs my battery life, plus I just like the swipe back and forward motion, and the zooming motion is better. But most importantly, less power as it is OS X native.

As for regards to battery life in general, the 2013 Air can surely get 2x of the 2012 model. The overall consumption of the 2013 model is lower than the 2012 model - especially at higher clock speeds. So even if Peak usage of 2012 is 7 hours vs 12 hours on 2013, for good medium usage it will be 5 hours vs 10 hours - which is double.

I don't know why 2012 users would be offended by that. Of course new technology is going to surpass the older one.
THAT is what the 'big deal' is, with Haswell - or with newer technology in general.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:47 PM   #42
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
It really reflects the fact that processor power has outstripped our need for it. Most modern programs can run on earlier generation processors just fine.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post
even with just 1.3ghz/4gb ram - which is apple's default for the air, it can run photoshop, logic pro, edit videos, and play mid-level intensive games with the new HD5000.
Pretty much mirrors my usage on my base 11" Air, with some 3D modeling thrown in there. Just my observation, I occasionally check Page Outs and was at 480Mb of writes after 29 days of uptime. That tells me that 4GB is enough for what I do.

Quote:
I use Chrome as my "flash" browser. I don't have the standalone flash plugin installed, so when I come across a webpage in Safari that needs flash, I'm able to open that page in Chrome. Also, Safari has an issue with certificates on a web page I need for work, so I use Chrome for that too.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air