Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasLentati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
United Kingdom/France
Hi guys, does anyone know a good download manager for OS X? (I'm on 10.8 atm) Because I use Folx (Pro) and the maximum download speed is 1 mb(s). So if anyone knows another Folx equivilant that lets you download much faster like 5, 10mb(s) maximum it would be much appreciated. :)

Thomas

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
What the heck...? Download manager? The speed depends on the internet connection, not the download manager. In fact, the only two download managers you'll ever need is Safari and uTorrent.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I had no idea that people who think internet connection can be improved by software on the computer still exist, but you've blown my mind. Thanks.

To add to that, your signature (while I have nothing against it) is likely going to land you in trouble if site staff see it.

EDIT: Since you have clarified and cleared the signature, consider this post irrelevant.

Last edited:

ThomasLentati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
United Kingdom/France
I had no idea that people who think internet connection can be improved by software on the computer still exist, but you've blown my mind. Thanks.

To add to that, your signature (while I have nothing against it) is likely going to land you in trouble if site staff see it.

Sorry mate, you don't understand what I'm saying. When I use uTorrent I get about 20mbs with my fiber optic speed, but when I use Folx that blocks my speed @1mbs thats why I'm asking for another download manager that doesn't block my internet speed at 1mbs.

----------

Let me guess, you pay for the air you breathe too?

Calm down. If he wants to pay for the app he pays for it.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
What the heck...? Download manager? The speed depends on the internet connection, not the download manager. In fact, the only two download managers you'll ever need is Safari and uTorrent.

Well, not quite. The speed of a downlaod is dependent upon your connection and the speed of the server providing the data.

If the server providing the data at a speed slower than your connection you are quite obviously not fully using your capabilities to download that data.

The purpose of the download manager is to initiate multiple connections through which to download the file, in theory providing a faster download.

The OPs question may be a little malformed, the OP may not necessarily be trying to improve their internet connection but instead utilize it more completely.

There is simply not enough information in the post to draw the conclusion you have drawn.

ThomasLentati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
United Kingdom/France
Well, not quite. The speed of a downlaod is dependent upon your connection and the speed of the server providing the data.

If the server providing the data at a speed slower than your connection you are quite obviously not fully using your capabilities to download that data.

The purpose of the download manager is to initiate multiple connections through which to download the file, in theory providing a faster download.

The OPs question may be a little malformed, the OP may not necessarily be trying to improve their internet connection but instead utilize it more completely.

There is simply not enough information in the post to draw the conclusion you have drawn.

Thank you for explaining to these people. Much appreciated.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Sorry mate, you don't understand what I'm saying. When I use uTorrent I get about 20mbs with my fiber optic speed, but when I use Folx that blocks my speed @1mbs thats why I'm asking for another download manager that doesn't block my internet speed at 1mbs.

Is there a specific reason you won't just use Chrome/Safari/Firefox/whatever browser you use?

ThomasLentati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
United Kingdom/France
Is there a specific reason you won't just use Chrome/Safari/Firefox/whatever browser you use?

This is why I use a download manager:

-resuming interrupted downloads, which is extremely useful when downloading large files;
-prioritizing of download tasks;
-full control over the download and upload speed;
-splitting the downloads in several threads for the possibility to speed up the downloading process;
-tagging the downloaded files. You have the possibility to assign multiple tags to one file, which allows to easily find the file no matter how long ago it was downloaded.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
This is why I use a download manager:

-resuming interrupted downloads, which is extremely useful when downloading large files;
-prioritizing of download tasks;
-full control over the download and upload speed;
-splitting the downloads in several threads for the possibility to speed up the downloading process;
-tagging the downloaded files. You have the possibility to assign multiple tags to one file, which allows to easily find the file no matter how long ago it was downloaded.

Do you use Chrome? If so, consider a plugin such as Download Master.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010

Use Jdownloader to download a Linux distro or a Windows digital river iso via HTTP, then use Safari for the same task. For me, Safari will top off at 2MB/s, Jdownloader will reach 10MB/s. There is a massive difference. I would never use a web browser to pull large files via HTTP.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I agree Safari and Chrome both are really poor for handling downloads.

Integrated extensions are always the best option for standard downloads.
Just search for download manager in among the extensions for you browser.
DownThemAll is I think the oldest of the full feature kind and still popular.
For links of any kind jDownloader is king. It really does everything and is the one click hoster central. There are also some Flash video download apps from youtube and stuff that use jDownloader for the actual downloading.
uTorrent I like less and less compared to the old versions but it is still by far the best torrent client. You get way more control and options than with Transmission which is the older Mac standard torrent app and too stupid IMHO.

phassat

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm... can't understand why people think that it is enough with safari or chrome or firefox or utorrent only....

I've tried Jdownloader, GetRight, Speed Downloader, Folx and Transmission (for torrent). So far nothing comparable to the IDM on windows but I'm keeping folx and jdownloader.

For torrent I use transmission but I don't like torrent to much if I can download from file sharing site. Torrent sucks your connection, a lot....

Safari and Chrome is not consistent... try to download 10GB files and you'll be sorry when it fails in the middle.

xcarroll

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I've used iGetter for years

at igetter.net. And am very happy with it. For large downloads on a poor connection it's been far more reliable than browsers, and resumes well after being cut off. And yes it *is* faster than browsers if you have a poor connection; it opens multiple connections.
This may partly be because browsers are well-behaved netizens and obey the http rule 'don't open more than 2 simultaneous connections to a server' http://www.google.com/search?q=rfc+http+no+more+than+2+connections whereas download managers flout this rule.

Fisse

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
I use one called Jdownloader. It work very well, you can save premium account details for auto login and also define the speed you wan it to download.

Also you can decide how many connections you want per download.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Where I live, download speeds are regulated on a connection to connection basis.

So a download manager like iGetter which is opening 16 or 20 simultaneous connections makes an absolutely HUGE difference. Easily 10x. 6 minutes vs. an hour.

iGetter has been great, a little too great actually as the software is free with a nag screen.

red321red321

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
if you download from places like uploading, depositfiles, rapidgator, etc using a download manager definitely improves your speed by a lot, dont know why people are claiming otherwise without even trying them

WindowsAndMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
if you download from places like uploading, depositfiles, rapidgator, etc using a download manager definitely improves your speed by a lot, dont know why people are claiming otherwise without even trying them

Probably because they are idiot's...I have just been getting used to Mac and need to get all the rough edges smoothed out, but on my windows system, I can bring down 7 RAR files with IDM in about 10 mins. Just wish IDM had software for a Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.