Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antoniojg25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
i got my father the ipad retina for xmas so one of the reason that he got it is for work but he live outside of the country and he just came to USA for xmas so my question is how can he transfer all his documents to his ipad and keep them over there can he make a folders on his ipad for all his work documents and do we need to buy a cable to transfer all those documents?
it would help please and thanks

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
i got my father the ipad retina for xmas so one of the reason that he got it is for work but he live outside of the country and he just came to USA for xmas so my question is how can he transfer all his documents to his ipad and keep them over there can he make a folders on his ipad for all his work documents and do we need to buy a cable to transfer all those documents?
this is confusing, are you a native English speaker?
I'm guessing your asking if he has documents(on what?) how can he put them on his iPad? No you can't make a folder for documents, you can try an app called dropbox or keep it as notes or download some apps that he can take notes in. Other than that no you can not store documents on an iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

I'd recommend Dropbox or Google Drive. Both I think give you the same storage space for free. Then I'd buy him the GoodReader app.

If you're asking how can he get his files from his PC while he's over here. Then I think you're out of luck unless he has it with him. Then, see above.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
i Got him Dropbx is excellent for him actually thanks for you help guys!!

I've got Dropbox on my iPad (and iMac and MBA), it's wonderful - just wanted to add a suggestion, that you should do a Google search to find ways to get him more free space. You can perform some simple and silly tasks with Dropbox and get him bumped up to 6GB of free space. It's easy to do, I did it and now enjoy 6GB of free Dropbox space, which is really handy if you use the service a lot.

theone09

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
I've got Dropbox on my iPad (and iMac and MBA), it's wonderful - just wanted to add a suggestion, that you should do a Google search to find ways to get him more free space. You can perform some simple and silly tasks with Dropbox and get him bumped up to 6GB of free space. It's easy to do, I did it and now enjoy 6GB of free Dropbox space, which is really handy if you use the service a lot.

yes! dropbox is always cool

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Folder? whats a folder? Welcome to the post pc world ; ios needs significant revision. I use good reader but it is awkward and time consuming. Why cant we just get a finder in ios?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Folder? whats a folder? Welcome to the post pc world ; ios needs significant revision. I use good reader but it is awkward and time consuming. Why cant we just get a finder in ios?

I use FileBrowser. It's almost as good as having a Finder in iOS.

I do sometimes think a Finder in iOS would be nice, but then I think of trying to explain FileBrowser to my mom or my boss, and I know they would never be able to understand how to use it. And I think that's where Apple is coming from -- they don't want to have stuff in the OS that would confuse non-computer savvy users. Power users like us can go get FileBrowser, Dropbox and GoodReader. My mom barely manages to use Dropbox, and my boss would be hopeless with that. If a Finder was part of the OS, I'm sure my mom and my boss would find a way to get into it and mess things up, while the way it is now, if I don't install Dropbox on my boss' iPad, he doesn't know what he's missing and I don't have to worry about him accidentally messing things up.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
How could finder be more complex than the convoluted work flows required by by good reader, dropbox, ect. I would not impact the current work flow. You would just save a document per usual. You would have the option to "save as", but you could ignore that. I tunes could function as it currently does. There would just be the option to open a folder tree on the desktop or in itunes.
Is the any way copying assets over via a folder tree could be more complicated than itunes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.