Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Does anyone still use Google+?

Did anyone EVER really use it? Sure, we've all got an account (mainly because you dont have a choice if you use Google for your mail, docs or even just youtube now) but I dont think I know a single person that uses it in the way they do with Twitter and Facebook, and they never have done. It's just full of messages posted by automated feeds (e.g on company/website pages).

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
I'm using it and I find it far more useful than facebook or twitter. On facebook I only added only few real friends and on g+ I'm following people I'm interested in, other software developers for example.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
IMO, Google+ fails only because Facebook is too well entrenched. In a way, it's sort of stupid because from my experience, it's way better. It's strange why google can't get people to use it. It's like the whole world is driving around in broken down 80's Hyundai Pony hatchbacks, and here's someone saying, "come get your free beemer--got one for your friends, too" and everyone's like... nah... everyone's driving this POS... I think I'll keep driving it too.

But then, it is a *social* network. Makes sense, I suppose. I keep trying to coax my friends and family over, but they have the same issue. Leaving FB means leaving their social network. Ah well.

I went on my Google+ page the other day for the first time in about a year, and man if the web version isn't clunky and unresponsive as hell.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I freaking love it. Too bad people hardly use G+.

Is it just me, or do they update this thing an awful lot...

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Some of you are REALLY clueless. As I have learned from this thread, if one of you doesn't use a service, no one else does either. Makes sense, total sense.

Anyways. I've been using Google Plus for awhile and find it to be a welcome departure from Facebook. Personally, I don't need or want to keep a large "social network". Personally (again) a large social network happens in real life, not in imaginary land where I can play farm owner with my pretend buddies and whatnot. Thankfully for me, there are plenty of my friends using Google Plus and it provides better sharing options for me. Much more than "bloggers and business people" on there, although several of the bloggers I happen to follow and find useful.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Some people like to keep certain things separate. There's no reason my friends should see all my comments about my photography hobby. I don't know about you, but my G+ is filled with new content that's relevant and interesting. Google+ is what you make it.

Why would all your friends see all your comments about your photography hobby? You must not have used Facebook in a while. Facebook now has their own version of "Circles" and you can put people in certain lists. Then when you post or comment, you can choose that only people in for example your photography list will see it.

Also Facebook has "Acquaintances" now so you can set all those people on your Friends list that you barely know as Acquaintances and their stuff only shows up on your feed when really important events happen like a move or marriage. And there is also now a "Close Friends" for people who you want to see absolutely everything.

Applying these changes to my group of Friends made my news feed more relevant and interesting than Google+ because now only the stuff I really want to see shows there except there's way more of the good stuff I want to see from the people and organizations I'm most interested in because they are more active on Facebook.

These were the only thing that made Google+ stand out to me but Facebook has it too now so it's pointless.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Why would all your friends see all your comments about your photography hobby? You must not have used Facebook in a while. Facebook now has their own version of "Circles" and you can put people in certain lists. Then when you post or comment, you can choose that only people in for example your photography list will see it.

Also Facebook has "Acquaintances" now so you can set all those people on your Friends list that you barely know as Acquaintances and their stuff only shows up on your feed when really important events happen like a move or marriage. And there is also now a "Close Friends" for people who you want to see absolutely everything.

Applying these changes to my group of Friends made my news feed more relevant and interesting than Google+ because now only the stuff I really want to see shows there except there's way more of the good stuff I want to see from the people and organizations I'm most interested in because they are more active on Facebook.

These were the only thing that made Google+ stand out to me but Facebook has it too now so it's pointless.

You must be mistaken. If someone posts something public (which alot of my photogs do), and I respond to it, it doesn't matter if I have people set to acquaintance, or friends or whatever, they all see it. There are some photog groups I belong to and they are public so if I comment or post, all my friends see it. It's not a big deal, but Facebook deliberately makes things public by default. But there are some "members only" groups I have which are more contained.

Heck even when I post a photo and I tag someone, people I don't know and aren't anywhere on my friend list can see it and comment because of the person who I tagged (his friends can see a photo he was tagged in).

There is no privacy on Facebook. Even though I have everything set to friends and certain people as acquaintances (Facebook makes grouping friends in categories ridiculously difficult compared to G+ by the way), I assume its public info, since people I don't even know can see it.

It's just easier to do my photog stuff on G+ because none of my friends are on it and if I post publicly (which all my posts are on G+) they aren't bothered with it. I have over 1000 people in my photographer's circle, filled with quality posts that I can freely comment on without by friends feed getting hammered every 30 minutes.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You must be mistaken. If someone posts something public (which alot of my photogs do), and I respond to it, it doesn't matter if I have people set to acquaintance, or friends or whatever, they all see it. There are some photog groups I belong to and they are public so if I comment or post, all my friends see it. It's not a big deal, but Facebook deliberately makes things public by default. But there are some "members only" groups I have which are more contained.

Heck even when I post a photo and I tag someone, people I don't know and aren't anywhere on my friend list can see it and comment because of the person who I tagged (his friends can see a photo he was tagged in).

There is no privacy on Facebook. Even though I have everything set to friends and certain people as acquaintances (Facebook makes grouping friends in categories ridiculously difficult compared to G+ by the way), I assume its public info, since people I don't even know can see it.

It's just easier to do my photog stuff on G+ because none of my friends are on it and if I post publicly (which all my posts are on G+) they aren't bothered with it. I have over 1000 people in my photographer's circle, filled with quality posts that I can freely comment on without by friends feed getting hammered every 30 minutes.

Ok I see what you mean. We're talking about two different things. Facebook does now give you great control over what you see from other people and who sees your posts. But yes, they are lacking quite a bit on control over who sees your comments and likes on other people's posts.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Wow. You're way behind.

Given that most people I know don't even use Google+, there hasn't been any reason for me to stay up-to-date. I tried it when it first came out, and after several months (and updates) with no landscape keyboard support, I got bored and left.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Given that most people I know don't even use Google+, there hasn't been any reason for me to stay up-to-date. I tried it when it first came out, and after several months (and updates) with no landscape keyboard support, I got bored and left.

They added that some time ago for iOS and Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.