Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hey folks, I just purchased Bastion from the App store and when I try and run it on my retina macbook pro I see that the highest resolution I am allowed to use is 1440. There are other resolution options like 1600+ but they are greyed out and the game does not let you choose them.

Anyone knows how I can run the game in these higher resolutions?

NostalgiaLane

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Had this problem as well, never really looked into it though. Does changing the screen resolution from system preferences allow you to have a higher resolution in-game?

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Had this problem as well, never really looked into it though. Does changing the screen resolution from system preferences allow you to have a higher resolution in-game?

Yes my friend indeed if I up the resolution from system preferences the game does indeed allow me to run it in 1920 X 1200 ;)

thanks a lot! Although it should allow you without having to change your system res, but hey it works ;)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Yes my friend indeed if I up the resolution from system preferences the game does indeed allow me to run it in 1920 X 1200 ;)

thanks a lot! Although it should allow you without having to change your system res, but hey it works ;)

Wouldn't it pretty much look the same at 1440x900 and 1020x1200 though?

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Wouldn't it pretty much look the same at 1440x900 and 1020x1200 though?

I believe due to the retina that it would yet there is substantial difference. Especially in the UI you can see it clearly and in game everything looks sharper.

But indeed when you are not playing the game the 1920 mode looks less sharp than the default retina. Ofc you have way more space, but because it is scaled you lose sharpness a bit.

The perfect setting is 2880 full res, but everything is so tiny... then again the real estate of that 15" screen is just insane....!

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I believe due to the retina that it would yet there is substantial difference. Especially in the UI you can see it clearly and in game everything looks sharper.

But indeed when you are not playing the game the 1920 mode looks less sharp than the default retina. Ofc you have way more space, but because it is scaled you lose sharpness a bit.

The perfect setting is 2880 full res, but everything is so tiny... then again the real estate of that 15" screen is just insane....!

Depends on the game. Valve games look best at 1440x900, and turning it up makes no difference, but impacts the framerate massively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.