Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I have absolutely no doubt that eventually I will have something about the size of an iPad that will dock in some way as my primary computing device. The problem is that scenario is probably still 4-5 years away. My beef with the iPad is simply the software. Too limited at the moment. and I suppose the limitations on the software are a function of the limited processing power. So, give it another 4-5 years and maybe iPads will be laptop replacements.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
People consider the iPad a toy because their Pro software is still designed for a desktop operating system that requires a keyboard and mouse.

Whatever.

As systems become more advanced, interacting with them on such a low level will be inefficient.

It's a case of one paradigm giving way to another.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
We don't care. ;)

If you can use an iPad as your only computer... Good for you... You're the typical consumer that Apple is after with these $400-$1,000 devices.

But honestly, the pro-market is alive and well, and for a lot of us that create, develop, and write that content you're probably browsing and watching, MacBooks are important to us. We cannot live in a small box, some can't even live in two screens and have to have three. iPads can really hurt a good workflow, even if you're just writing a paper. We need that whole desk/work space, no gesture shortcuts or touch based panels are ever going to make the process more efficient than using a keyboard and mouse.

We already have the best mobile setup for us, and that's a laptop. And cost isn't an issue when you're doing something that is actually making you money, so again, we don't care.

And that's not just directed at just you, that's to every person who brings this whole iPad as a laptop replacement issue.

I use my iPad Mini as an accessory. I didn't have to invest in a Wacom tablet because I use SketchBook Ink, I don't have to invest into audio equipment and the really expensive tools because I have software instruments and a great mobile DAW, and the TI-Nspire app is a much better alternative to its $100+ separate hardware version.

However, you cannot dumb down everything for the sake of saving money and being even more flexible. You have to stick to standards for some things, and it goes without saying, you have to spend money to make money.

You are aware that I'm not saying that people should use the iPad as a laptop replacement right? I merely stated that I have chosen to because it fits my needs. Obviously, the iPad doesn't fit the bill for some (like yourself). You say that you don't care, so why did you chime in?

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
But honestly, the pro-market is alive and well, and for a lot of us that create, develop, and write that content you're probably browsing and watching, MacBooks are important to us. We cannot live in a small box, some can't even live in two screens and have to have three. iPads can really hurt a good workflow, even if you're just writing a paper. We need that whole desk/work space, no gesture shortcuts or touch based panels are ever going to make the process more efficient than using a keyboard and mouse.

This. I wonder why there are so many who underestimate a good workflow. Oh well, those who replace their laptop with iPad (entirely) have probably taken it into consideration anyway.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
This. I wonder why there are so many who underestimate a good workflow. Oh well, those who replace their laptop with iPad (entirely) have probably taken it into consideration anyway.

That's the beauty of the situation. Those of us who don't need something as powerful as a full laptop or desktop have an alternative. Every device doesn't fit every person. So having these options helps. It would be a waste for me to have spent decidedly more money on a MBP when I can get everything I need done on an iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.