Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
hi i bought apple care yesterday for my imac. cost me £67 (thats with £4 delivery). amazon wanted £113 and apple wanted £139.

anyway, i was just wondering, once i register it to my imac what will happen if i ever get it replaced? i mean the entire machine. can apple move the warranty over to the new machine or do i need to buy again?

thanks

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
so if i get a replacement one, say 6 months from now, off apple for whatever reason then i no longer have 3 year coverage?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
so if i get a replacement one, say 6 months from now, off apple for whatever reason then i no longer have 3 year coverage?

That is correct... the new machine will not be covered by the AppleCare you just bought. But, if you sell your existing system it should sell for more because of the Apple Care... in essence you need to figure out a value with the purchaser for the value of the remaining AppleCare. The system you register the AppleCare to will be covered for the 3 years, even when you sell it.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I believe the OP is asking about the event where he takes it in and the machine is replaced under Apple Care, not selling it and getting a new one. If that is the case then I believe your Apple Care will continue on with the replacement.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

If your computer is completely replaced (not repaired) the "new" iMac would have AppleCare until the same date as the "old" iMac. Make sure its is transfered.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
hi i bought apple care yesterday for my imac. cost me £67 (thats with £4 delivery). amazon wanted £113 and apple wanted £139.

anyway, i was just wondering, once i register it to my imac what will happen if i ever get it replaced? i mean the entire machine. can apple move the warranty over to the new machine or do i need to buy again?

thanks

Just had this happen. Had my iMac replaced after 19 months old. Had Applecare on it. Only 14 months left on AppleCare. Apple told me I could transfer it to new computer but expiry date would stay the same. They also told me I could call Apple directly and could have the AppleCare prorated for what was left on it and receive a cheque in mail for refund. At that point I could repurchase AppleCare on the new iMac, that way I would have the full 3 years coverage. I went with prorated refund and will purchase new AppleCare. My response comes directly from Apple.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Just had this happen. Had my iMac replaced after 19 months old. Had Applecare on it. Only 14 months left on AppleCare. Apple told me I could transfer it to new computer but expiry date would stay the same. They also told me I could call Apple directly and could have the AppleCare prorated for what was left on it and receive a cheque in mail for refund. At that point I could repurchase AppleCare on the new iMac, that way I would have the full 3 years coverage. I went with prorated refund and will purchase new AppleCare. My response comes directly from Apple.

That's exactly my experience. With my iMac replacement happening just one month before Applecare expired, I didn't bother with the prorated refund. I simply purchased new Applecare for the replacement.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
That's exactly my experience. With my iMac replacement happening just one month before Applecare expired, I didn't bother with the prorated refund. I simply purchased new Applecare for the replacement.

Apple sent me an email yesterday stating I would receive $84.00 back. Can't be disappointed with amount. I did get a new iMac with about $700 in upgrades. Really worth having AppleCare. Have it on all my Apple products. Even if it is never needed. But my iMac was a prime example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.