Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:18 AM   #1
DesertGirl
macrumors newbie

Transferring vids from iPad to PC?

Is this possible at all or am I stuck? I have a few vids of the kids I'd like to back up...

If it's not I guess I will stop taking vids/photos with my ipad, but that's really a shame...
DesertGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:53 AM   #2
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502

That's what iTunes software is for (among many other things). If you haven't been syncing your iPad to your computer (or using iCloud on both the iPad and PC), you ought to - there's probably a bit more than some videos that should be backed up on a regular basis. If you're already syncing with iTunes, check your sync settings.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296
ApfelKuchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGirl View Post
Is this possible at all or am I stuck? I have a few vids of the kids I'd like to back up...

If it's not I guess I will stop taking vids/photos with my ipad, but that's really a shame...
By "PC" do you mean a Windows machine? If so, when you connect to a computer (NO NEED FOR ITUNES, BTW), open up your "My Computer" folder, and you should see your Apple device. Open that to see the DCIM folder inside which are one or more folders that contain your photos/videos. You can drag any and all content out and onto your PC. You cannot, however, drag anything INTO your iDevice this way.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

If you're jailbroken, try the iFunbox program. It's basically drag and drop.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

There are a few ways. iTunes for one. If you want to backup just the vids then Dropbox is a great option. Also, Google Drive or if you have a Picasa account(gmail) then there are multiple apps that will allow you to upload to that service. I like WebAlbums for this. As the other poster said, if you're using a Windows machine then you can access it all from the DCIM folder through my computer.

Personally, I think Dropbox is the best solution for just about any type of file. You will always have it available. There is no worry that a hard drive will crash, you don't have to worry about misplacing a USB and all you're content is available for you anywhere. So if you want to show that video to someone you can send them a link to that file or pull it up on their computer. Hope this helps.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Check this out on the app store:
http://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/

Works great... for wifi transfers to/from WD myBookLive server on my network.
It's my most used app other than Safari.

http://www.macstories.net/reviews/fi...hared-folders/
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:48 AM   #7
DesertGirl
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! By PC I mean a windows machine, so the simplest will be to connect the device straight to the PC.

Now if I can only figure out a way to repair that cracked screen compliments of my 2 year old...
DesertGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Thanks everyone! By PC I mean a windows machine, so the simplest will be to connect the device straight to the PC.

Now if I can only figure out a way to repair that cracked screen compliments of my 2 year old...
Unless there is something screwy with your version of windows it should read the iPad as a digital camera and import via windows explorer. Might take a few minutes for it to come up and you need to make sure its not pass code locked

As for the cracked screen, take it to Apple. Yes it will cost you but you won't be getting questionable work using likely way sub quality parts and a voided warranty from some repair shop that says they can save you a ton that way
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad