Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It doesn't matter if it's portable or not...the link was to refute the comment that Apple doesn't put branding on the front, only on the rear.

For me, it makes total sense that Apple would do this for several reasons:
- We know fingerprint scanning is coming to the iPhone. Apple bought a whole company for this purpose.
- The scanner would have to be clear to scan properly. They could do a basic square again or spice it up. I think they'll spice it up.
- A glowing Apple logo that scans your finger has a big "cool" factor to it, plus it helps distinguish the iPhone in a world where smart phones are looking more similar. I'd believe the suggestion that there might be an led and color changes, too, for effect as well as function.
- It improves brand image in a time when Apple's reputation has softened. They need marketing help and a bit of added cool factor or "gotta have it" to make the 5S worth the upgrade.
- It ties in the look to their iMac line with the front logo, which they are working to develop tighter integration with in order to keep people in the ecosystem.

I'd say 90% chance this is real.

They bought a whole company to implement it into the "iPhone"? Do you have a source on that?

There is a lot of other things they could be doing with that tech, Apple makes more then just iPhones. Plus its not uncommon for a company like Apple to buy another company then not do anything with it in the end. Maybe when the Atrix came out with a scanner Apple thought it was a step in the right direction so they bought out that company but now have decided to crush that plan after seeing how much of a gimmick it was in Android.

Then again who knows maybe they are going to release some fantastic new fingerprint scanning tech on an iPhone.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
They bought a whole company to implement it into the "iPhone"? Do you have a source on that?

There is a lot of other things they could be doing with that tech, Apple makes more then just iPhones. Plus its not uncommon for a company like Apple to buy another company then not do anything with it in the end. Maybe when the Atrix came out with a scanner Apple thought it was a step in the right direction so they bought out that company but now have decided to crush that plan after seeing how much of a gimmick it was in Android.

Then again who knows maybe they are going to release some fantastic new fingerprint scanning tech on an iPhone.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/apple-to-acquire-authentec-for-356-million/

Nobody would spend $356 million to buy a company, specifically a company that specializes in fingerprint scanners for mobile devices, if they weren't planning on incorporating their products. It was just a matter of time. It will be the first step in providing real security to allow mobile payments through NFC. I wouldn't be surprised to see both products released simultaneously on a future iPhone, probably the 5S.

----------

And I'm 90% chance it won't ;)

Let's meet back here in September.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/apple-to-acquire-authentec-for-356-million/

Nobody would spend $356 million to buy a company, specifically a company that specializes in fingerprint scanners for mobile devices, if they weren't planning on incorporating their products. It was just a matter of time. It will be the first step in providing real security to allow mobile payments through NFC. I wouldn't be surprised to see both products released simultaneously on a future iPhone, probably the 5S.

----------

OK. I'll keep this as a favorite ;)

Stellarola

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
This is a button from China. It's a replaceable home button for iPhone 5. This is NOT official. It's simply a cosmetic replacement. You can get them for around $15USD. It lights up too via a LED mod.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

----------

So you think the 5S will be a redesign? Maybe the 6?

I think its safe to say if Apple added additional hardware for the first time to the "S" model it will be redesigned and not be the 5S but be the 6. Authentec hasn't made or created anything that doesn't require your entire print obviously, not much of a fingerprint scanner if it doesn't use your entire print. So it will need a larger home button (assuming its in the home button) or behind the screen. Then room for the hardware within.

All this for what? To unlock the phone? Or to add NFC. So now we've taken the "S" that never gets additional hardware and added two additional pieces of hardware. Plus we are well passed the leaked logic board pictures (probably fake) because there's no NFC chip or scanner IC. Add that on and now you need a new case to house the logic board or make the battery smaller.

NFC is already more secure then the credit card everyone carries around since you need a PIN. Why would I want to use my fingerprint to buy eggs and milk? Is the government buying out Apple who will surely be keeping all our fingerprints neatly on file.

Just assuming you are correct, that stuff might be incorporated in the iPhone 6. One that is actually designed for it. I don't think we will see that till Fall 2014 though.

Keep in mind Apples investment doesn't mean it will make it into their next product or the product after that or the one after that.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
How about they get rid of that silly mechanical home button altogether and go digital, and incorporate some sort of indicator light?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It seems to me that Apple is about allowing their products to speak for themselves and the only branding being a single iconic Apple logo on the back which is instantly recognisable. None of this messy logo on every inch of blank space which Samsung seem to be into.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
One of the main reasons I continue to buy the iPhone, aside from the OS, is that they do not have any branding on the front. This would ruin it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.