Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:37 AM   #26
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesars View Post
I don't see why eBay is removing these, if I want to sell my iphone with free apps installed, who gets hurt here ?
You do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone, therefore it is technically a copyright violation. As far as who gets hurt? Well, eBay, when content owners decide to sue a website that condones this sort of sale.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:38 AM   #27
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Sorry how would that not constitute earning it?
As said above, 'you do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone'.

It's trying to profit (illegally) from someone else's work/IP. So my point stands, if he wants the money that bad, go and earn it instead of ripping off another persons work.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:56 AM   #28
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
As said above, 'you do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone'.

It's trying to profit (illegally) from someone else's work/IP. So my point stands, if he wants the money that bad, go and earn it instead of ripping off another persons work.

Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing. The reason eBay is removing these auctions is because eBay requires phones to be restored to factory settings before being offered for sale. A phone with non factory installed apps on it clearly does not meet this requirement.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:26 AM   #29
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Checking Gumtree this morning in the UK there are several iPhones in my area with Flappy Birds installed selling for 1000!!! Some people will try anything for a buck. Stupid game - I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:36 AM   #30
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Checking Gumtree this morning in the UK there are several iPhones in my area with Flappy Birds installed selling for 1000!!! Some people will try anything for a buck. Stupid game - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Thats more than a buck mate. Of it goes through good business on the seller, the buyer is crazy, stupid.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:20 AM   #31
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Do it.

You'll sure to rank in a ton of money.

Please, sell it.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:44 AM   #32
SMIDG3T
macrumors 6502a

Nope. Well, didn't work for me. I listed on eBay and the next day it was taken off. I got a message from eBay and it said I couldn't list a device until a full restore has been carried out. Obviously when I full restore is carried out, all apps are deleted!

Last edited by SMIDG3T; Feb 11, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
SMIDG3T is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:48 AM   #33
andyw715
macrumors regular

Can't you just do an install service?

Send me your phone, logged out of app store.
I'll log in, install Flappy Birds, then log out, send it back to you..

For $100?
andyw715 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:52 AM   #34
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing.
Technically, you cannot, at least not in the states. You do not own the license to distribute that software irregardless of what you paid for it.

Will Google come after you for selling a machine with chrome on it? Almost certainly not (it's actually in their best interest not to). But the point is eBay has to protect themselves and unlicensed sale/distribution of software is one of those areas they are pretty strict about.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:56 AM   #35
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

OP: This seems really silly. I would personally love to see this happen.

Quote:
Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing. The reason eBay is removing these auctions is because eBay requires phones to be restored to factory settings before being offered for sale. A phone with non factory installed apps on it clearly does not meet this requirement.
Pro tip: if you're going to claim something isn't illegal, it may be helpful to provide a source to back up the claim. Mostly because I am fairly certain you're wrong. It's not a matter of free, it's a matter of distribution of software. I suppose I could be wrong.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:56 AM   #36
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
OP: This seems really silly. I would personally love to see this happen.

Pro tip: if you're going to claim something isn't illegal, it may be helpful to provide a source to back up the claim. Mostly because I am fairly certain you're wrong. It's not a matter of free, it's a matter of distribution of software. I suppose I could be wrong.
You're not.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:59 AM   #37
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You're not.
Well then, there is that I suppose.

I still want to see the OP actually pull this off. Just when I want to believe people value their money, something like this comes along and makes me realize that is simply not the case.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:10 AM   #38
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Technically, you cannot, at least not in the states. You do not own the license to distribute that software irregardless of what you paid for it.

Will Google come after you for selling a machine with chrome on it? Almost certainly not (it's actually in their best interest not to). But the point is eBay has to protect themselves and unlicensed sale/distribution of software is one of those areas they are pretty strict about.

You are right. They will not come after anyone for doing such a thing.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:17 PM   #39
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000

Is the flappy birds app that expensive? Why?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:22 PM   #40
BeeGood
macrumors 6502

On a related topic there is a copy of the game on the App Store called "Splashy Fish". Exact same game except its a fish under water and the sounds are different.

Wonder if it's the same guy publishing under a different name.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
Is the flappy birds app that expensive? Why?

No it was free. That's what's so ridiculous about all of this.

I really hope these are fake eBay posts.
BeeGood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM   #41
hallidc
macrumors regular

I'm beginning to call it Flappy Hype. My local classifieds are becoming useless to use at the moment as its being flooded with phones preinstalled with floppy birds. All ranging from $900+.

Everyone is hyped up over the fact that people are charging absurd prices for their devices and also that an apparent iPhone sold for over $100,000 with the app (although the bidding was staged).

Anything is possible, however you'll never be able to sell your phone for far above the initial resale value of the phone itself.
iPad Air | Apple TV 3 | 4th Gen Time Capsule
hallidc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM   #42
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGood View Post
On a related topic there is a copy of the game on the App Store called "Splashy Fish". Exact same game except its a fish under water and the sounds are different.

Wonder if it's the same guy publishing under a different name.

----------

No it was free. That's what's so ridiculous about all of this.

I really hope these are fake eBay posts.
I did a google search on this. I guess it's no longer available for free download; so basically, it's a collector app if you have it on your smartphone. Just crazy…
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:01 PM   #43
Azy
macrumors regular

Just download Splashy Fish... It's near off identical :P
Azy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #44
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

They posted in the news forum that eBay is now removing iPhone listings with Flappy Bird installed because to sell a phone, it must be restored so that there is nothing but the OS remaining on the device, no apps whatsoever.

OP, you can no longer sell it on eBay.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:33 PM   #45
Nathaneg
macrumors newbie

Was this a serious question/thread?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:26 PM   #46
jca24
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler1337 View Post
Hi guys,

Having read some articles about some people selling their iPhones with the notorious game pre-installed for a ridiculous sum of money, I thought I'd give it a punt and do the same.

Problem is, are these legitimate bids and sales, or does eBay remove the listing?

Also, how does one go about selling their iPhone with the app installed but without having their Apple ID linked to the phone? What is the safest way to do so?

I can't believe I'm even typing this, but if this makes me a wod of cash, I won't think this was a wacky idea anymore Am I dreaming?

Thanks!
Yes you are dreaming!! All of these ebay auctions are not legit, they are all sellers with 0 feedback. No I know an ebay seller has to start somewhere, but not tons of them selling an iphone with a stupid game on it. Go ahead and sell you phone and please report back on how it worked out for you!

jca24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:05 AM   #47
Septembersrain
macrumors 6502

I'm flagging people on Craigslist.

I'm not wrong, I'm just a jerk.

I think this hype is ridiculous.
Septembersrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:09 PM   #48
hbman122
macrumors newbie

eBay have actually started removing all listings of this kind because their Terms and Conditions state that all phones sold have to be restored back to factory settings
hbman122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
flappy bird, preparing for sale, selling