Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:37 AM   #26
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesars View Post
I don't see why eBay is removing these, if I want to sell my iphone with free apps installed, who gets hurt here ?
You do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone, therefore it is technically a copyright violation. As far as who gets hurt? Well, eBay, when content owners decide to sue a website that condones this sort of sale.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:38 AM   #27
Steve121178
macrumors 68000
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Sorry how would that not constitute earning it?
As said above, 'you do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone'.

It's trying to profit (illegally) from someone else's work/IP. So my point stands, if he wants the money that bad, go and earn it instead of ripping off another persons work.
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 5s 32GB iPad rMini 32GB
Steve121178 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:56 AM   #28
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
As said above, 'you do not own the license to sell the digital content on the phone'.



It's trying to profit (illegally) from someone else's work/IP. So my point stands, if he wants the money that bad, go and earn it instead of ripping off another persons work.

Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing. The reason eBay is removing these auctions is because eBay requires phones to be restored to factory settings before being offered for sale. A phone with non factory installed apps on it clearly does not meet this requirement.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:26 AM   #29
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Checking Gumtree this morning in the UK there are several iPhones in my area with Flappy Birds installed selling for 1000!!! Some people will try anything for a buck. Stupid game - I don't see what all the fuss is about.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:36 AM   #30
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Checking Gumtree this morning in the UK there are several iPhones in my area with Flappy Birds installed selling for 1000!!! Some people will try anything for a buck. Stupid game - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Thats more than a buck mate. Of it goes through good business on the seller, the buyer is crazy, stupid.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:20 AM   #31
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Do it.

You'll sure to rank in a ton of money.

Please, sell it.
__________________
Mac Mini 2012 - 27 TB/23 ACD, Phone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
GizmoDVD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:44 AM   #32
SMIDG3T
macrumors 6502a
 
SMIDG3T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Nope. Well, didn't work for me. I listed on eBay and the next day it was taken off. I got a message from eBay and it said I couldn't list a device until a full restore has been carried out. Obviously when I full restore is carried out, all apps are deleted!

Last edited by SMIDG3T; Feb 11, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
SMIDG3T is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:48 AM   #33
andyw715
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Can't you just do an install service?

Send me your phone, logged out of app store.
I'll log in, install Flappy Birds, then log out, send it back to you..

For $100?
andyw715 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:52 AM   #34
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing.
Technically, you cannot, at least not in the states. You do not own the license to distribute that software irregardless of what you paid for it.

Will Google come after you for selling a machine with chrome on it? Almost certainly not (it's actually in their best interest not to). But the point is eBay has to protect themselves and unlicensed sale/distribution of software is one of those areas they are pretty strict about.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:56 AM   #35
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
OP: This seems really silly. I would personally love to see this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Its not illegal to sell a device with software on it, especially one that is free. I can download google chrome onto my phone and sell it, same thing. The reason eBay is removing these auctions is because eBay requires phones to be restored to factory settings before being offered for sale. A phone with non factory installed apps on it clearly does not meet this requirement.
Pro tip: if you're going to claim something isn't illegal, it may be helpful to provide a source to back up the claim. Mostly because I am fairly certain you're wrong. It's not a matter of free, it's a matter of distribution of software. I suppose I could be wrong.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:56 AM   #36
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
OP: This seems really silly. I would personally love to see this happen.



Pro tip: if you're going to claim something isn't illegal, it may be helpful to provide a source to back up the claim. Mostly because I am fairly certain you're wrong. It's not a matter of free, it's a matter of distribution of software. I suppose I could be wrong.
You're not.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:59 AM   #37
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You're not.
Well then, there is that I suppose.

I still want to see the OP actually pull this off. Just when I want to believe people value their money, something like this comes along and makes me realize that is simply not the case.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:10 AM   #38
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Technically, you cannot, at least not in the states. You do not own the license to distribute that software irregardless of what you paid for it.



Will Google come after you for selling a machine with chrome on it? Almost certainly not (it's actually in their best interest not to). But the point is eBay has to protect themselves and unlicensed sale/distribution of software is one of those areas they are pretty strict about.

You are right. They will not come after anyone for doing such a thing.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:17 PM   #39
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, California USA
Is the flappy birds app that expensive? Why?
__________________
2011 MBA
Black iPhone 4S 32GB
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:22 PM   #40
BeeGood
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
On a related topic there is a copy of the game on the App Store called "Splashy Fish". Exact same game except its a fish under water and the sounds are different.

Wonder if it's the same guy publishing under a different name.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
Is the flappy birds app that expensive? Why?

No it was free. That's what's so ridiculous about all of this.

I really hope these are fake eBay posts.
BeeGood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM   #41
hallidc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I'm beginning to call it Flappy Hype. My local classifieds are becoming useless to use at the moment as its being flooded with phones preinstalled with floppy birds. All ranging from $900+.

Everyone is hyped up over the fact that people are charging absurd prices for their devices and also that an apparent iPhone sold for over $100,000 with the app (although the bidding was staged).

Anything is possible, however you'll never be able to sell your phone for far above the initial resale value of the phone itself.
__________________
Gold iPhone 5S | | 27" ThunderBolt Display
iMac 21.5'' 2012 | rMBP 13"
Red/Blue 7th Gen iPod Nano | 6th Gen iPod Nano (Watch)
iPad Air | Apple TV 3 | 4th Gen Time Capsule
hallidc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM   #42
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, California USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGood View Post
On a related topic there is a copy of the game on the App Store called "Splashy Fish". Exact same game except its a fish under water and the sounds are different.

Wonder if it's the same guy publishing under a different name.

----------




No it was free. That's what's so ridiculous about all of this.

I really hope these are fake eBay posts.
I did a google search on this. I guess it's no longer available for free download; so basically, it's a collector app if you have it on your smartphone. Just crazy…
__________________
2011 MBA
Black iPhone 4S 32GB
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:01 PM   #43
Azy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Just download Splashy Fish... It's near off identical :P
Azy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #44
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
They posted in the news forum that eBay is now removing iPhone listings with Flappy Bird installed because to sell a phone, it must be restored so that there is nothing but the OS remaining on the device, no apps whatsoever.

OP, you can no longer sell it on eBay.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:33 PM   #45
Nathaneg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Was this a serious question/thread?
__________________
AppleShark.com: easily the best place to sell your iPhone or Apple products (for cash money).
Nathaneg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:26 PM   #46
jca24
macrumors 6502a
 
jca24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler1337 View Post
Hi guys,

Having read some articles about some people selling their iPhones with the notorious game pre-installed for a ridiculous sum of money, I thought I'd give it a punt and do the same.

Problem is, are these legitimate bids and sales, or does eBay remove the listing?

Also, how does one go about selling their iPhone with the app installed but without having their Apple ID linked to the phone? What is the safest way to do so?


I can't believe I'm even typing this, but if this makes me a wod of cash, I won't think this was a wacky idea anymore Am I dreaming?

Thanks!
Yes you are dreaming!! All of these ebay auctions are not legit, they are all sellers with 0 feedback. No I know an ebay seller has to start somewhere, but not tons of them selling an iphone with a stupid game on it. Go ahead and sell you phone and please report back on how it worked out for you!

jca24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:05 AM   #47
Septembersrain
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
I'm flagging people on Craigslist.

I'm not wrong, I'm just a jerk.

I think this hype is ridiculous.
Septembersrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:09 PM   #48
hbman122
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
eBay have actually started removing all listings of this kind because their Terms and Conditions state that all phones sold have to be restored back to factory settings
hbman122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
flappy bird, preparing for sale, selling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smacky Cars, More Addictive than Flappy Birds? Capedy iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 21, 2014 05:40 AM
Sick of Flappy or Angry Birds? Pluck'em all in new game Plucking Birds! Isotope 244 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Apr 3, 2014 09:40 AM
Flappy Birds SusieCC iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 17 Feb 28, 2014 10:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC