Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece
Hello everyone. I have the iMac listed in the signature below. I've never faced any serious problems. Two weeks ago I picked up a Razer Deathadder gaming mouse. I downloaded the latest driver which is Synapse 2.0; but like one or two days after, my iMac had all of these weird "Your Mac has restarted because of a problem" messages. It would happen once or twice every like 2 days. So two days ago I uninstalled the Razer software. No kernel panics anymore; at least for now (I will post more details if it ever happens again). Just to let you know most kernel panics occur due to hardware damage or badly-designed login items/apps. Has anyone else noticed anything similar in Mountain Lion? Also, my problem is that I really need the configuration abilities of Synapse at the same time. No other app can provide so many dpi, acceleration, polling rate, etc customization settings. Anyone had the same problem? Or I would like to re-install Synapse as long as I can quit it. You know, it opens up on start-up and stays in your menubar no matter what you want; so any advice on how to quit Synapse (so I can open it only when I need it to customize my settings) would be really useful as well. Thank you!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Most likely the Razer driver is a pile of cr** and is poorly written. You have crashes with it running, no crashes without, so the cuprit is obviously the driver. Unfortunately these drivers tend to be junk.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
No, but these drivers tend to be written for windows, where most of the power gamers seem to be.

the big point to me is that you had problems with the driver, removed the driver, and problems go away.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Most likely the Razer driver is a pile of cr** and is poorly written. You have crashes with it running, no crashes without, so the cuprit is obviously the driver. Unfortunately these drivers tend to be junk.

I have no problems with the Razer driver on my two Macs and other than it being hideously ugly, it works very well.

That said, if it is causing problems on your Mac you ought to get rid of it for now. I might also suggest emailing Razer's support for suggestions.

If all else fails, SteerMouse, is an excellent alternative and well worth the money, IMHO.

glassechidna

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
damn, is that synapse causing that?

I thought it was the kernel panic on the GPU which was a manufacturers defect on the 2011 MBP, guess I should just do a wipe on that machine.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
You use a Deathadder? Just uninstall and don't even bother with the driver in the first place, because in my experiences it doesn't make a difference with just a mouse, and the driver is beyond horrendous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.