Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a new MBA and I have to decide about configuration.

Basically, I could go with 8GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, or 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. I would use it for mostly Internet/Email/Video with occasional use as a travel version of my business CPU, which means Dreamweaver, Photoshop and InDesign.

I can certainly make 128GB of storage work, but 256GB would be nice but I really want to avoid the spinning beach ball.

Thoughts?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
The Air has a really fast SSD, so you won't notice page outs nearly as badly as with a HDD when you run low on RAM. That said, you can always get USB3/Thunderbolt external hard drives if you need extra space...you can't upgrade the RAM.

If it were me, I would save up and get the 256/8 configuration. But, if that isn't an option, I would go with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Obviously, both would be preferable, but if you have to choose between RAM or HD space, I would choose to go with RAM, because it is soldered onto the logic board of the MBA, and there ain't no changing that later.

The HD, or rather, the SSD can be swapped out at a later time, thanks to the OWC upgrades, so that isn't as big a deal. You can always also just hook up an external drive in the meantime, and give yourself the extra room you need/want.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Obviously, both would be preferable, but if you have to choose between RAM or HD space, I would choose to go with RAM, because it is soldered onto the logic board of the MBA, and there ain't no changing that later.

The HD, or rather, the SSD can be swapped out at a later time, thanks to the OWC upgrades, so that isn't as big a deal. You can always also just hook up an external drive in the meantime, and give yourself the extra room you need/want.

This. This is the voice of reason...

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
RAM is cheaper and can't be upgraded later. That was my choice for my 11". I wish I had just splurged and gotten the larger HD as well, but even if I had to go back I'd still pick RAM.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
More RAM. You will be locked in to whatever you order for as long as you have the computer. There are other options for adding storage later.

Attackofthemac

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
My MBA 11" arrived yesterday, and it is CTO 8gb ram / 64gb ssd

Unfortunately, where I am located, I pay 12% tax, so that is a sizable premium on top of the MBA itself.

Being on a somewhat limited budget, it was a no brainer to do the 8gb over upgrading the SSD, as my uses are mobile word processing and very minor editing.

The issue with running out of ram / page-out is not a major issue with the fast SSD as others have mentioned, however since the ram is not upgradable, this was a priority to max out.

Ideally get one of those flush SD card readers, and use that as storage to minimize writes on the SSD (paranoid but it is not a bad idea).

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
RAM is def the first priority, as you cannot upgrade it later. If 128GB isn't enough you can always upgrade it later, or improve your storage with a SD Card.

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
Most people do not need 8 gb of ram on a MBA, but almost everyone needs more that than 120 gb of hard drive.

I would definitely upgrade the hard drive!

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
I'm with everyone on the "upgrade your RAM" side. of the two, only the SSD can be upgraded down the road, and if you plan on keeping your MBA for a decent amount of time, that 8GB will gradually lose its overkill factor as OS's and apps become more resource-intensive. just adding in my 2¢.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Sadly though, that is only an option with the 13".

Yeah - Although with the 11" you could get one of those mini as USB sticks. Not quite as good, considering the MBA only has two, but it's better than nothing I guess.

----------

I'm with everyone on the "upgrade your RAM" side. of the two, only the SSD can be upgraded down the road, and if you plan on keeping your MBA for a decent amount of time, that 8GB will gradually lose its overkill factor as OS's and apps become more resource-intensive. just adding in my 2¢.

8GB of RAM is actually becoming pretty standard these days. Not overkill at all, really.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
defiantly get the 8GB ram. Both options you can't upgrade after market but hard drive wise you have the cloud, external, flash drives, or even SD cards

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
As most people said, go for the RAM. I got my MBA on sale so I couldn't upgrade. (Oh well.) The RAM will futureproof your machine because 8GB's of RAM will become a standard in a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.