Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:26 AM   #1
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a

Whats the best Movie/DVD converter for Mac?

Whats the best Movie/DVD converter for Mac?

I've tried a few now, mostly demos so unsure on full versions

Handbrake
Videomonkey
Roadmovie
iRip it
iFlicks

But wondering what people find the best (and fastest) please. I know Handbrake does DVD and avi conversion with VLC installed, whereas the others seem to only convert avi files or ripped DVDs 1st.

I dont mind buying a good app, but can someone recommend what they use and why
cheers
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:28 AM   #2
spinnerlys

How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

MPEG Streamclip for transcoding video, meaning making an .avi to a .mov for example.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:17 AM   #3
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

MPEG Streamclip for transcoding video, meaning making an .avi to a .mov for example.
Thanks. Great info and help. I'm bookmarking this now.
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for link, but I've read that before. I was hoping some users have tried the apps I stated (amongst others) and had experiences with them?

anyone?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:32 PM   #5
fcortese
macrumors 68000

I have heard about Handbrake, but have no personal experience with any of them. Sorry.
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:11 AM   #6
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a

Anyone please any more comments on apps used? The new AppleTV looks good, but again has to be in iTunes format. So any DVDs etc I have wold want in this format

cheers
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:55 PM   #7
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Anyone please any more comments on apps used? The new AppleTV looks good, but again has to be in iTunes format. So any DVDs etc I have wold want in this format

cheers
The new Apple TV recognises the same formats and codecs as the last one, and as one has to stream to it via iTunes or similar software, one needs the formats iTunes or the older Apple TV uses/d, thus one can still use the same software recommended in all the dozens of existing threads about this issue.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:42 PM   #8
kufford
macrumors 6502

HandBrake is the defacto standard for transcoding video. RipIt is a great application, although I only use it for ripping DVDs. The queuing capabilities of HandBrake makes it easy to rip 4-5 DVDs with RipIt and then set HandBrake to encode during the night. Very efficient workflow IMO.
kufford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:45 PM   #9
deadwulfe
macrumors 6502a

As far as getting mp4 files from dvds or otherwise, handbrake is the best choice, hands down. It does something that just keeps as much quality as possible compared to some elgato solution or even a quicktime conversion.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:22 PM   #10
MyopicPaideia
macrumors 6502

Handbrake is by far the best free application for this use.

I have found that RoadMovie, when used in conjunction with the free Perion QuickTime codec add-on, is the best and most versitile of them all. It not only is just as good as Handbrake for straight conversions, but it also can remux MKV to MP4, meaning fully Mac, Apple TV and iDevice compatible HD content in a few minutes instead of hours, automatically finds complete iTunes compatible metadata for both movies amd TV Shows, provides a comprehensive subtitle search function, and can do soft and hard subs using all the major subtitle extensions out there, and will even automatically add the finished product to iTunes for you if you want.

This one app does what it used to take 2-3 different ones to accomplish, and reduces the workflow down to almost nothing, and is solely responsible for me being able to move my Mac Mini into the office and only have an Apple TV at the main entertainment center un the house. Combined with the great streaming TV apps on the iPad/iPhone, the Apple TV and Airplay Mirroring, this almost reduces the need for cable TV down to zero...almost.

Really happy with RoadMovie.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store