Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1
johnhackworth
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
27" iMac - Big Enough for Two Documents?

Hi,

I currently have a Mac Pro with two 23" displays. I often use the two displays in order to have two documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoin) open - one on each.

I am considering moving to a 27" iMac. My question is: Is a 27" screen large enough to sensibly see two portrait orientation Office documents?

This is clearly a subjective question so I'd welcome any opinions - especially from people who have moved from dual monitors to a single 27" one.

Thanks,

Julian.
johnhackworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2
MacMiguel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhackworth View Post
Hi,

I currently have a Mac Pro with two 23" displays. I often use the two displays in order to have two documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoin) open - one on each.

I am considering moving to a 27" iMac. My question is: Is a 27" screen large enough to sensibly see two portrait orientation Office documents?

This is clearly a subjective question so I'd welcome any opinions - especially from people who have moved from dual monitors to a single 27" one.

Thanks,

Julian.
You can perfectly manage two documents on a 21.5 inch screens....... Why do you need a 27"? Just for two documents? Do you need glasses? xD
MacMiguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:42 AM   #3
liudekhua
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
yes, two documents scaled at 200% side by side.

but of course, coming from a dual monitor, you are essentially going down from 3840 (1920x2) to 2560 horizontal pixels (assuming both your 23" are 1920 wide).
liudekhua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
johnhackworth
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMiguel View Post
You can perfectly manage two documents on a 21.5 inch screens....... Why do you need a 27"? Just for two documents? Do you need glasses? xD
Yup. I do wear glasses. As I say, it's subjective, however *I* couldn't comfortably edit two documents side-by-side on a 21.5" or 23" screen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by liudekhua View Post
yes, two documents scaled at 200% side by side.

but of course, coming from a dual monitor, you are essentially going down from 3840 (1920x2) to 2560 horizontal pixels (assuming both your 23" are 1920 wide).
That's pretty good. My 23" will only do two A4 documents at 144% - which is below my comfort level.
johnhackworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:39 AM   #5
skyenet
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Glasgow - Scotland
I find the iMac 27" screen great for two documents to a screen. I use Zinio a lot to read magazines and I find the screen is perfect for displaying two pages at a resolution I can easily read without any zooming.
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.4GHz i7 27"  2012 MacBook Pro Retina 2.3Ghz i7  2011 2.3 GHz Mac Mini  2009 iMac 3.06 GHz 27"  2007 iMac 2.8GHz 24"  iPhone 5  Apple TV 2nd & 3rd Gen  iPads 1st & 3rd Gen
skyenet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6
kuhtang
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario
Editing two documents on the 27" is totally do-able. It's one of the reasons that I went with that model.

It's nice to watch videos while writing too haha.
kuhtang is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIG new iTunes 11.1 feature- "Other" turned into "Documents and Data" sflomenb Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Sep 18, 2013 06:57 PM
Would the 21.5" iMac be big enough? webcity iMac 9 Jun 9, 2013 05:28 PM
iMac 24" big problem - repair Mekintoch iMac 28 Apr 27, 2013 05:45 PM
DP4: "Find" option grayed out in Notes documents Krazy Bill OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Jul 14, 2012 10:37 AM
Finder won't load "Applications", "Documents", etc. applefan289 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 2 Jun 9, 2012 04:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC